[NL2-NL10] Why can't I reraise here ?

• SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)     
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $20.88
      BU:
      $11.54
      BB:
      $2.25
      MP1:
      $10.76

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J:heart: , A:spade:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.20, 2 folds, BU calls $0.20, SB folds, BB calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.85) K:diamond: , Q:spade: , 6:club: (4 players)
      BB checks, MP1 bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, BU calls $0.10, BB calls $0.10.

Turn: ($1.25) T:spade: (4 players)
      BB bets $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, BU folds, BB raises to $1.95 (All-In), MP1 calls $1.45, Hero calls $0.45.

PartyPoker only gave me a call option, yet I wanted to reraise all-in to protect against the flush draw, but wasn't allowed to ?
      Why is this ?

ps : Yes, I know calling a raise with AJ is risky, but the table was excessively loose and I felt I had good implied odds on hitting anything.
      Unfortenately, now the river was another spade and another made a flush and let me pay 2,5 $, something I had to call.
  • 8 replies
    • Vesolc
      Vesolc
      Bronze
      The same happened to me few days ago. But it is logical. MP1 calls your raise, so you can't re-raise a call.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      But BB raised, so I should still be able to reraise ?
      MP1 called BB's raise, not mine.
    • mchaggis
      mchaggis
      Bronze
      this really sucks. Especially preflop.
      Happened some times: got KK or QQ, raised to 4bb get reraised by a fullstack I want to go all in with, then a short stack raises for 1bb and we must both just call.
      It's not just party tho, I'm pretty sure it's the same at stars.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      On the turn here, you should raise much more. There is 1.25 in the pot, BB bets .5, UTG calls .5, and you raise to 1.5. You should have just raised to push BB all in, given his small stack, and added enough on to make UTG pay for whatever draw he had, so round 2.5 - 3. Then you wouldn't have had to worry about this kind of nonsense. As it is, you pretty much gave MP1 odds to call for the draw.

Since you did play this preflop against the minraise, and you are second last to act, why not treat the MP1 minbet on the flop with contempt, and raise here to .8? You could drive BU out and win position, BB might or might not stay in here, if he does, he has to push all in right there. A semi bluff raise in this spot could have saved you later grief here.

Preflop, since you want to play this hand, why not reraise the fish with the vpip of 59%? You are looking to isolate him, you will be so far ahead of his range with your hand, and with a good raise here, you can take down the pot without any further play, or drive out the later positions, and play heads up in position against the fish. A poker players dream come true.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aciddrop
      On the turn here, you should raise much more. There is 1.25 in the pot, BB bets .5, UTG calls .5, and you raise to 1.5. You should have just raised to push BB all in, given his small stack, and added enough on to make UTG pay for whatever draw he had, so round 2.5 - 3. Then you wouldn't have had to worry about this kind of nonsense. As it is, you pretty much gave MP1 odds to call for the draw.

Since you did play this preflop against the minraise, and you are second last to act, why not treat the MP1 minbet on the flop with contempt, and raise here to .8? You could drive BU out and win position, BB might or might not stay in here, if he does, he has to push all in right there. A semi bluff raise in this spot could have saved you later grief here.

Preflop, since you want to play this hand, why not reraise the fish with the vpip of 59%? You are looking to isolate him, you will be so far ahead of his range with your hand, and with a good raise here, you can take down the pot without any further play, or drive out the later positions, and play heads up in position against the fish. A poker players dream come true.
      Nothing more to say for me. Nice analysis!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Vesolc
      Vesolc
      Bronze
      PartyPoker only gave me a call option, yet I wanted to reraise all-in to protect against the flush draw, but wasn't allowed to ?

"BB bets $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, BU folds, BB raises to $1.95 (All-In), MP1 calls $1.45, Hero calls $0.45".

BB bets ... MP1 calls
      Hero bets, BB raises...MP1 calls again

So, MP1 calls your and BB bets ... you can't raise him again, if he calls you. It is only possible that you re-raise BB, but he is all-in already.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Makes sense, still sucks ;)
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      If there is still some confusion the rule is a follows:

In NL hold'em you must raise at least the amount that was bet/raised earlier on that street. If you do not have a large enough stack to raise this amount and goes AI (as in the posted hand) it does NOT count as a raise but only as a call, and logically you can't reraise (other people who hasn't acted can reraise though) since you would be reraising your own bet/raise.

@mchaggis:

I think you remember something wrong in the hand you described, since you should be able to raise in that situation.