PLO - Set over set

• Bizaxta
      Bizaxta
      Bronze
      I don't see a lot of discussion regarding pot limit omaha on here, but I really enjoy playing it. I have been trying to incorporate some of the SSS tactics into my play but it doesn't quite fit. One thing that I have run into 5 or 6 times in the last couple of days which has cost me between $10-$15 is playing hands such as AK44 (usually at least 2 suited) and hitting small sets on the flop. I try to protect these sets from a number of flush and straight possibilities, usually getting all of my money in the pot on the flop, but I have run into about 5 situations where someone has flopped a higher set. Is this common in PLO or have I just been running poorly?

Chris
  • 5 replies
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      In full ring pot limit omaha it can happen, especially since almost all the time, more people see the flop than normal because they don't understand the value of their hands preflop.
      Don't protect low sets, only top set and second top set. So starting hand pairs below tens are useless, they just take away straight possibilities.

Preflop hand evaluation is quite important. The things to look out for are :
      - Connectivity : KQT9, 8653, ...
      - Suitedness with high card : :spade: A-Q :spade: x :club: A-Q :club: x
      - High pocket pair : AAxx to TTxx
      I watch for them in this order.

If you play PLO Hi-Lo, you'll have to tighten up your high hand cards preflop even further as the implied odds for high hands goes down. Instead, you look out for good high and low hands so you can add the following hands as playable
      - Low cards : A234 (always include at least an A or a 2 and preferably 3 low cards)
      - Hi-Lo combination : :heart: A:heart: 2:club: K:club: Q

I think you should be safer if you take this into consideration preflop.
    • Bizaxta
      Bizaxta
      Bronze
      Thanks, I usually toss low pairs anyway unless it's, like you said, suited with a high card. Do you play mid-sets aggressively? For example I had QQxx and the flop came AQ7, I bet the flop and moved in when I was raised, and lost to AAxx. I suppose that that is just bad luck?

I have been playing with a very similar strategy playing connected cards, and high suited cards, so hopefully I'm on the right track. Tonight I have regained the $15 that I lost over the past few days on my downswing, so maybe the cards are in my favour once again.

Thanks again :D

*edit - Didn't see your Hi-Lo post. I haven't played a whole lot of hi-lo but will eventually try to learn that game as well.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      I could play 2nd set agressively, but in Omaha, you get coolered a lot. So it depends what outs I have with my other cards what to do with a 2nd set. A bottom set, I bet once, but fold to opposition.
    • Bizaxta
      Bizaxta
      Bronze
      Right on, yeah I've learned the hard way about getting coolered when I think I have the nuts at the time. Did you read anything when you began playing Omaha or did you just learn through practice?
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Well, I still don't play Omaha often online, because I don't have the bankroll to play it (you need about 50 buy ins, which means 1250 $ at PartyPoker's lowest 0.10/0.25 limit)
      I read up on it a little online though, and the rest is just mathematical common sense I guess :D

I guess the best advice I can give you for PL Omaha at the lower stakes is be patient. The implied odds are huge because many players get a set, some straight and think "who the hell is gonna beat this" and then the cooler comes. Just be patient and wait for that incredible flop where you got the nuts or nutsdraw... you'll get rewarded. Online Omaha is usually a donkfest.