Advice on playing pocket pairs?

• Edukator99
      Edukator99
      Bronze
      Hi all.

I've been reading studying and trying to adjust my play. I'm baffled by how to play pocket pairs suddenly. If I call with JJ or lower and over cards hit I'm not sure what line to take.

First of all JJ.
      If A, K,Q hit... what to do? People are usually in with these cards...

10,10 and 9,9. Now if over cards hit these...same problem

88 and lower... high over cards...what to do? Generally fold? Low over cards to lower pocket pairs...bet.

Starting to feel like as soon as over cards hit I'm dead. lol
  • 4 replies
    • joecar
      joecar
      Silver
      Focus on your position and what line your opponent is playing as well as maximizing your preflop raising/isolations. Don't over value pocket pairs and overpairs. If your in position on the flop and its checked to you, you maybe be able to cbet and take it down easily. On a AKQ board heavy villain resistance its an easy fold. etc

Next time you have a tough spot post your hand in the hand evaluation forum for feedback
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      What joecar said is right :)

Also, with JJ if you're facing a raise I find it's usually better to 3bet them, as it gives you fold equity and also, if they call, gives you more information on what sort of hand they might have. For example, a tight player calling your 3bet has a very limited range, QQ, AK and TT and JJ, maybe 99 as well is in their range, so when the flop comes down you can have a good idea on what they can have hit :) For the other pocket pairs just use the Call20 rule preflop and if an A,K, Q or J hit the flop and you haven't hit your set it's usually just better to fold it, maybe try to float it and take down the pot on the turn sometimes but there's just too much in their range that will hit one of these cards :)
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      What they said.

And this is a super broad question which can't be answered in isolation. Poker is all about information, and the following factors (amongst others) will all factor in your decision making:

- position
      - stats e.g. how wide are they opening (PRF), how often do they c-bet, how often do they barrel the turn, etc
      - stack sizes
      - board texture
      - reads
      - game flow
      - etc, etc, etc.

Try posting some hands/specific examples where you've got into tricky spots.
    • Edukator99
      Edukator99
      Bronze
      Thanks...good general advice there which is what I was looking for. Appreciate all your replies. I'll post some hands when I get some. :)