[NL2-NL10] NL5 - Two pair on a dry board vs runner runner straight

• fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      I check preflop cause there are only 2 opponents and I will be playing out of position. The play till the river is pretty standard. I put my opponent on an Ace and want to get value on the turn so I check-raise. I give the villain 2:1 odds on and he calls. On the river I feel like I have to make a value bet since I put the villain on an Ace and I suspect that he would check behind because of my turn raise.

When I analysed the hand afterwards his turn call looked a bit fishy, but then again I paid him off on the river so considering that he's call was right?

In the end I feel bad because I paid him off on the river and I wonder if I shoud've played the hand differently...

The opponent was rather fishy, limped a lot, medium AF, high WTS.

Everest - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

CO: $2.90
      BTN: $3.66
      SB: $4.65
      Hero (BB): $5.44
      UTG: $5.02

SB posts SB $0.03, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.08) Hero has J:spade: A:club:

fold, fold, BTN calls $0.05, SB calls $0.02, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.15, 3 players) J:club: A:spade: 3:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $0.08, fold, Hero calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.31, 2 players) 9:heart:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.17, Hero raises to $0.82, BTN calls $0.65

River: ($1.95, 2 players) 8:heart:
      Hero bets $1.40, BTN raises to $2.71 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.31

Hero shows J:spade: A:club: (Two Pair, Aces and Jacks) (PreFlop 58%, Flop 79%, Turn 82%)
      BTN shows T:spade: Q:spade: (Straight, Queen High) (PreFlop 42%, Flop 21%, Turn 18%)
      BTN wins $6.89
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello fuzzyfish,

If you are putting him on weak Ace then why don't ya just bet the flop/turn/river for value since he is such a fish, more often he will go broke anyways with just an Ace or maybe even Call with some weaker pair or a draw. As played hard to lay the hand on river, so well played. Way too good odds and he may do that also with 2pair type of hands sometime.

Best regards.