This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 - Two pair on a dry board vs runner runner straight

• fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      I check preflop cause there are only 2 opponents and I will be playing out of position. The play till the river is pretty standard. I put my opponent on an Ace and want to get value on the turn so I check-raise. I give the villain 2:1 odds on and he calls. On the river I feel like I have to make a value bet since I put the villain on an Ace and I suspect that he would check behind because of my turn raise.

When I analysed the hand afterwards his turn call looked a bit fishy, but then again I paid him off on the river so considering that he's call was right?

In the end I feel bad because I paid him off on the river and I wonder if I shoud've played the hand differently...

The opponent was rather fishy, limped a lot, medium AF, high WTS.

Everest - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

CO: $2.90
      BTN: $3.66
      SB: $4.65
      Hero (BB): $5.44
      UTG: $5.02

SB posts SB $0.03, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.08) Hero has J:spade: A:club:

fold, fold, BTN calls $0.05, SB calls $0.02, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.15, 3 players) J:club: A:spade: 3:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $0.08, fold, Hero calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.31, 2 players) 9:heart:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.17, Hero raises to $0.82, BTN calls $0.65

River: ($1.95, 2 players) 8:heart:
      Hero bets $1.40, BTN raises to $2.71 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.31

Hero shows J:spade: A:club: (Two Pair, Aces and Jacks) (PreFlop 58%, Flop 79%, Turn 82%)
      BTN shows T:spade: Q:spade: (Straight, Queen High) (PreFlop 42%, Flop 21%, Turn 18%)
      BTN wins $6.89
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello fuzzyfish,

If you are putting him on weak Ace then why don't ya just bet the flop/turn/river for value since he is such a fish, more often he will go broke anyways with just an Ace or maybe even Call with some weaker pair or a draw. As played hard to lay the hand on river, so well played. Way too good odds and he may do that also with 2pair type of hands sometime.

Best regards.