This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] How to play a monster right (quad 5s) to get the best payout

• Gremlin68
      Gremlin68
      Bronze
      Here a hand that was really fine, but I'm interested in hearing if at any point I should have played different. In the end I think I got the maximum out of it, but that's my point of view.

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Position:
      Stack
      MP3:
      $12.97
      Hero:
      $2.09
      MP2:
      $2.70
      UTG:
      $2.09

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5:club: , 5:diamond:
      UTG calls $0.10, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Normal play I think

Flop: ($0.45) 5:heart: , Q:heart: , 5:spade: (4 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, UTG calls $0.20, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.20, UTG calls $0.20.

So fine. What to do now to get the money in. Thinking about this hand I don't have to bet here, because I just checked my BB. In the hand I thought contibet (contibet? I didn't bet) not to be suspicious. Maybe this took out someone who would have hit anything later and put money in the pot

Turn: ($1.65) Q:club: (3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.60, MP3 calls $0.60, Hero calls $0.60.

I have two opponents who seem to have something, so I thought let them play

River: ($3.45) 9:spade: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.99 (All-In), UTG raises to $0.99 (All-In), MP3 calls $0.99.

Here I think I have to go allin, afraid that they could just check down on a two paired bored. Actually I hoped that someone or both hit a FH

Final Pot: $6.42

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows [ 2c, 2d ] two pairs, Queens and Fives
      Hero shows [ 5c, 5d ] four of a kind, Fives
      UTG shows [ Tc, Th ] two pairs, Queens and Tens
      Hero wins $6.10 USD with four of a kind, Fives.

Beside the bet on the flop I'm quite satisfied with the way I played the hand, but very interested to read your way of playing this hand
  • 5 replies