[NL2-NL10] AKo NL$25 BSS FR

• Eclipt
      Eclipt
      Bronze
      Hero: $27.65
      BU: $23.65

Preflop: Hero is in MP+3 with A K (9 players)
      2 folds, MP+1 calls $0.25, MP+2 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, CO folds, BU calls $1.50, 3 folds

Flop ($3.65): 8 3 A (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.50, BU raises to $7.00, Hero raises to $26.15 (all-in), BU calls $22.15 (all-in)

On Polish board there is a lot of arguing about this hand.

Some say that the board is so safe, that we can slowplay this hand in order not to scare away hands like AT, AJ, AQ and all-in is going to by called only by sets (in that case we either win small, or lose big).

The others think that Top-Pair-Top-Kicker is always too weak and vulnerable to slowplay it. They are affraid of getting out-sucked by two pair draw and want Ax to fold.

What do you think?
  • 10 replies
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      IMO, this is a drawless board, the only possible (but unlikely) draw is a gutshot if villain would call your raise preflop with 52, 42 or 54.
      So I don't see any reason to bet here, since you're probably only getting called by a stronger hand, and likely scare weaker aces.
      By checking you induce bluffs from smaller pairs, and are likely going to get paid off by weaker aces.
      Another reason I'd just check is that I don't have much of hand to play a huge pot OOP.
    • aanty2000
      aanty2000
      Bronze
      i see no reason to slowplay here. why give him a free card that can make his hand better then yours? ... you have just TPTK .. not a set , not even to pairs . i think you should have bet smaller on the flop . smth like 2.9 - 3.10 would seem better imo. i think you should call and reevaluate om the turn . the board is so safe and this minraise looks too suspicious . check call the turn maybe .
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aanty2000
      i see no reason to slowplay here. why give him a free card that can make his hand better then yours?
      Because on this board you're either way ahead or way behind, giving a free card is not a great risk IMO, if he's behind, he probably only has 3 outs. At best he'd have 5 outs, in case he can make the call pre-flop with 98, T8...

Originally posted by Eclipt
      On Polish board there is a lot of arguing about this hand.
      And probably there's gonna be a lot of arguing on this board as well. :D
      It's an interesting hand I think.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aanty2000
      iyou have just TPTK .. not a set , not even to pairs
      That's another reason why I think check is a better option, to keep the pot small. Big pots are for big hands, small pots for small hands.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      I think if you are against a reasonable opponent you are screwed here. What worse hand could he possibly minraise with ? AQ?AJ ? Doesnt make much sense on that board and since he has position on you. I dont think pushing there will make him call with a worse hand. If you call all your money will still go in probably by the river , but at least your sign of weakness may cause him to keep firing on you with worse hands as well.
    • Eclipt
      Eclipt
      Bronze
      Seems like my main problem here is lack of reads on my opponent. I just wanted him to fold and take the pot here and now. If he had set - well, happens :D .

But, you see on this limit there still are players, who would call me with hands like JJ, QQ, AQ (my opponent here had AQ).
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Seems like my main problem here is lack of reads on my opponent. I just wanted him to fold and take the pot here and now. If he had set - well, happens :D .

But, you see on this limit there still are players, who would call me with hands like JJ, QQ, AQ (my opponent here had AQ).
      If your opponent has a worse hand why would you want him to fold? I'd want him to pay me off. :)

Certainly there are players who will call you here with worse hands, but I don't think it happens often enough to make it profittable.
    • Eclipt
      Eclipt
      Bronze
      I don`t want to get out-sucked by two-pair, set and backdoor str8&flush draws.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      I don`t want to get out-sucked by two-pair, set and backdoor str8&flush draws.
      But the risk of getting sucked out is too small.

In case he has a weaker ace, he's only got three outs.
      If he has a smaller pair, he's got five outs.
      As for the backdoors, the odds are even smaller.

And if he's ahead, you're the one with very few outs.

Unlike Fixed Limit, sometimes in No Limit you have to give out free cards.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      The board is very dry. If you are scared on this board to get sucked out what are you doing with your aces on a J :spade: T :spade: 8 :club: board? ;)

Concerning this hand: I would call the minraise for pot control and reevaluate on the river. I recommend to read the article about pot control: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/140/ (gold status required)

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81