Hero raises to $2, fold, fold, BTN calls $2, fold, fold

FLOP ($4.75) 3:club: A:heart: 8:diamond:

Hero bets $3.25, BTN calls $3.25

TURN ($11.25) 3:club: A:heart: 8:diamond: J:diamond:

Hero bets $8.50, BTN calls $8.50

RIVER ($28.25) 3:club: A:heart: 8:diamond: J:diamond: 9:heart:

Hero bets $13.50, BTN raises to $37.25 (AI), Hero calls $23.75

villain 25/20/1.3, 750 hands.
      Could not put villain on a hand, so called. Should I just be bet/folding river regardless?

If we always bet/fold in this spot, what amount should we be betting to get called by worse?
  • 6 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      He can have there sets or Ax two pair hands that would likely play the same, so to me river is b/f
      I would personally bet rover 184, since I think AQ/AT would call me down and not sure he would shove then worse hand than AJ+, since my line looks very strong to him and I also can hold there sets by taking that line
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Can you explain this: you say if we bet more, he is less likely to turn worse hands into bluffs?

I understand that, but if we assume average player is not doing that much anyway, then shouldnt we bet less on river so that we: i) increase the range that will call us down and ii) lose less when we get shoved on and have to fold?

thanks

p.s. he had he T :diamond: 7 :diamond: for rivered straight. I could have bet more on the turn (to protect) but I didnt put him on drawing hand given flop texture. Did I make a mistake?

thanks again
    • mrxLT
      mrxLT
      Bronze
      Hi,

If i where villain and got AQ in this hand i would start to hate my life on the turn already. It would be really hard to call big river bet and hope to see worse hand. So i like youre betsizing.

Could not put villain on a hand, so called. Should I just be bet/folding river regardless?

How would you play 33 and 88 in this spot? I think i would call/call/raise without history (dynamics).
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Can you explain this: you say if we bet more, he is less likely to turn worse hands into bluffs?

I understand that, but if we assume average player is not doing that much anyway, then shouldnt we bet less on river so that we: i) increase the range that will call us down and ii) lose less when we get shoved on and have to fold?

thanks

p.s. he had he T :diamond: 7 :diamond: for rivered straight. I could have bet more on the turn (to protect) but I didnt put him on drawing hand given flop texture. Did I make a mistake?

thanks again
      well that was not really my idea why we should bet more on the river. You just get more value with Ax hands and you have no reason to think he is shoving there as bluff. if he have there AQ/AT or any Ax he would very likely also call you down 18$ bet. So you generally gain more value by betting more rather than afraid he has there boat and think how you can b/f the fewest amount.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      thanks, could you also answer the 2nd part of my question about turn bet size and if it was a mistake?

thx
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      thanks, could you also answer the 2nd part of my question about turn bet size and if it was a mistake?

thx
      yeah, sry didn´t notice that
      Board is so dry that you don´t really need to protect your hand, but rather think how worse hands would call you down. if you´re going to bet close to potsize on the turn I think weaker hands than AQ may want to fold to turn unless player is calling station. Then you can bet 10-11$ and shove on the river for value. So 8.5$ is really standard bet size and don´t think you didn´t make there any mistake.