[NL2-NL10] FR NL25 - TPTK very scary board... Hero got scared?

• Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Got completely lost in this one.

No Limit Hold'em
      Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
      Stacks
      Hero: $34.65
      BTN: $18.18

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP1 with A :spade: Q :diamond:
      3 folds, Hero bets $0.75, 2 folds, BTN calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: Q :spade: T :club: 8 :club: ($2.35, 3 players)
      BB bets $0.25, Hero raises to $2.50, BTN calls, BB folds.

Turn: T :spade: ($7.60, 2 players)
      Hero bets $5.70, BTN calls.

River: 9 :spade: ($19, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets 9.23 and is all-in, Hero folds.

Damn River, possible flush, possible straight, paired board, OOP, Big Pot... and what's even worse, unknown player. I just got scared here. Maybe I should have bet a small amount just for protection, but he had so little that I think most players would shove it all-in with whatever they are holding if I make the small bet.

Maybe I should have bet less on the flop not to make the pot so big? Or maybe I should've checked the turn? Don't know. Got lost in this hand.
  • 3 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Faye6891!

I would bet potsize on the turn and play check/call on the river. This way you are getting maximum protection against draws. If he calls you on the turn you are getting great odds to call an all-in on the river.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puschkin81
      Hi Faye6891!

I would bet potsize on the turn and play check/call on the river. This way you are getting maximum protection against draws. If he calls you on the turn you are getting great odds to call an all-in on the river.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
      In my opinion that's a perfect play If I'm sure he's on a draw.

But maybe he wasn't, maybe he floped the straight or a set... or made trip Tens on the turn.
      And in these cases I would just be throwing money at him hopelessly.

I don't have a big hand... shouldn't I try to control the size of the pot somehow?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      That's impossible because you have to protect your hand. And in my opinion you cannot check/fold this hand. If he would have a straight or a set he would raise because he also hasto protect his hand against draws. That's why I think the above mentioned line is good.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81