[NL2-NL10] FR NL25 - My big slick turned into small slick...

• Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      I think I played it right. But I don't know if I should have just folded after the reraise, or reraised back.

No Limit Hold'em
      Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
      Stacks
      Hero: $58.05
      BB: $25.35
      MP2: $16.85
      CO: $42.25

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG+2 with A :spade: K :club:
      2 folds,
      Hero bets $0.75,
      MP1 folds,
      MP2 calls,
      CO raises to $3.10, BTN calls,
      SB folds,
      BB calls,
      Hero calls,
      MP2 raises to $16.85 and is all-in,
      CO raises to $42.25 and is all-in,
      BTN folds,
      BB calls and is all-in,
      Hero folds...

I made a standard raise with AK, got one caller, a reraiser, than two callers, this is where I don't know if I played right.
      I felt something was wrong, I was probably dominated, but there was already a big pot there, I was getting around 4-to-1 odds, maybe I could flop a straight and stack (at least) one player... So I just called.
      But I don't know... should have I just folded it here? Or made another raise?
      The problem with another raise is that I would be commiting myself if anyone called (with the exception of the CO who had a very deep stack), so If I'm gonna reraise, I should just shove it all-in, but damn, If I smell bullets... should I run towards them? :(

Well, I called, and after 3 guys went all-in I can remember thinking to myself just before folding: "AK plays well preflop, but fuck... this is ridiculous!" :D
  • 12 replies
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I've noticed that you seem to only raise 3xbb preflop. Suggested is 4x, any reason you only do 3?

Seems to me you can call the initial reraise, especially since there is another caller, so the pot odds would be juicy. But after the insanity that follows, just get out of the way, and take notes.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      PokersStrategy SSS suggests 4x... and the BSS I haven't read, I'm still bronze.

I don't see a big difference to raise 3x or 4x... they are still getting around the same implied odds to call preflop... so I prefer 3x, smaller pot, less money invested.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Faye6891!

I think you played this hand well. You are getting great odds to call the reraise but after the raising continues you should fold. Nice hand!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • AtonalMonk
      AtonalMonk
      Bronze
      I'd like to hear one of the judges' opinion on 3BB vs 4BB.

Makes more sense to me to bet 4BB, since it scares off some of the potential limpers and when the need arises to reraise you can build the pot more quickly.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      I'd also like to hear the judges opinion on this...
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      I'm a rookie but here's my opinion. I use different open raise sizes. The tighter I play the bigger the raises. I usually play quite loose so I raise 3BB most of the time. When I play against maniacs I raise 4BB or even more. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that manipulating preflop raise sizes gives the ability to control pot size and number of opponents on the flop and may increase winrate.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I play 4xBB first in from any position except SB, where I play 3Xbb with any hand I am stealing, all the way up to AA. This means anyone monitoring me over time gets the same information on any hand I'm holding. If I am going to raise, and get a bad call, 4xBB makes it just a bit worse.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      On the low limits (up to NL100) you should bet 4xBB because smaller bets are not respected and you have more players seeing a flop. On higher limits people tend to respect raises more often which means you can also bet 3xBB or 3.5xBB.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puschkin81
      On the low limits (up to NL100) you should bet 4xBB because smaller bets are not respected and you have more players seeing a flop. On higher limits people tend to respect raises more often which means you can also bet 3xBB or 3.5xBB.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
      You still haven't convinced me that 4xBB is better Puschkin. :P

Just because they don't respect one's raise, doesn't mean they are playing right. And as far as I know you only gain if your opponents make mistakes, so why bet more and force them to make the right play?
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      I think the aim of a raise is getting bad hands out of the pot, so that you have easier situations to solve while on the flop/turn/river.
      I folks don't respect your raises, you will see flop without beeing able to put a hand range on opponents.When people respect raises, you can have the same informations with a 3BB raise, so you can choose.
      In small limits, i raise 4BB in order to get as much people out as i can. Sometimes in s'n'g i even raise 5-8 BB when the blinds are small, to get respected, and sometimes show my preflop raises that didn't get called to show the table my raises have to be respected, but this might be a mistake.

Hope i'm not telling crap.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DoigteurFou
      I folks don't respect your raises, you will see flop without beeing able to put a hand range on opponents.When people respect raises, you can have the same informations with a 3BB raise, so you can choose.
      I see your point, but in low limits I don't think 1BB more will make a difference. But I may start doing it and see what happens. ;)
    • mchaggis
      mchaggis
      Bronze
      on low limit's you only create bigger pot which is good cause you get more money in with good hands. You should pick the bet size depending of your goal in the hand in certain situations. If possible bet size should get you as close to your goal SPR (stack to pot ratio) as possible, but that's something that comes with experience.

What's the best preflop raise with AA? All-in ofcourse, but only as long as you get called. This 3 or 4 bb thing isn't really the case but it works cause it's simple and everyone expect it. If you go to a live game you can easily find a table where a normal open raise is 20BB.