Ickki vs. SNGs - The Road to Reality

• Ickki
      Ickki
      Bronze
      Ickki's SNG Blog

I've decided to start this blog to track my progress, and get some feedback on my game and goals.

I started playing poker in November 2010. After experimenting (and losing a lot) in cash-games, I decided to give SNGs a go, and have stuck with them since.

Since I had absolutely no clue, what I was doing, I almost busted my bank roll during the process (see graph below), but I managed to get myself back up to a somewhat healthy level to afford the lowest stakes.

I plan on posting my current goals and achievements here, and possibly some interesting hands.

I'm happy to receive any constructive criticism and feedback. =)

Current Status:
      Bank Roll: $31
      Stakes: $1 + $0.20 SNGs on Full Tilt
      SNGs played: 169

Goals:
      • Reach a Bank Roll of $100 to move up to the $2 SNGs.
      • Increase the amount of tables I play to comfortably and profitably play 4 at once.

Here's my Sharkscope starting graph:

As you can see, I'm currently struggling, staying in the green. Not exactly sure as to why that is, since I think my game has improved a lot, since those first disasters.

One reason could be multi-tabling:
      The winning streak between game 60 and 90 I mostly did single-tabling.
      I've now tried 2-4 tables simultaneously, which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. So I'm probably going to stick to one table for the moment, even though I get bored quite quickly, when I do (and feel quite lame, since I hear a lot about people 10-16 tabling.

Anyhow, that's all for now. Happy reading!
  • 23 replies
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ickki
      As you can see, I'm currently struggling, staying in the green. Not exactly sure as to why that is, since I think my game has improved a lot, since those first disasters.
      It's just because your sample size is too small. You need about 1000 games to really start seeing any kind of trend in SnGs. Long break-even or losing stretches can be pretty common. Just keep playing good +EV poker and eventually the results will follow! :)
    • Ickki
      Ickki
      Bronze
      Thanks, gedwashere91!

Indeed, it can go both ways.

Current Status:
      Bank Roll: $42
      Stakes: $1 + $0.20 SNGs on Full Tilt
      SNGs played: 175

I got into the money in all of the SNGs I played today, except for the last one, where I had a quite interesting hand:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$120/$240 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $3085.00
      SB:
      $2590.00
      BB (Hero):
      $4015.00
      CO:
      $3810.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, K.
      CO folds, BU calls $240.00, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($600) T, J, 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($600) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $240.00, BU calls $240.00.

River: ($1080) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $480.00, BU raises to $1,200.00, Hero raises to $3,535.00, BU calls $1,405.00(All-In).

Final Pot: $7220.

BU beat my straight with 22, making a full house.
    • Ickki
      Ickki
      Bronze
      Just lost the last 13 SNGs in a row. I have no idea, what's going on.

I'm definitely going back to single-tabling to prevent myself from going broke.

BR is down to $29.
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Just lost the last 13 SNGs in a row. I have no idea, what's going on.
      10BI downswings are pretty standard. If you're scared about going busto, I would advise you do lots and lots of study before playing again. Review everything, post heaps of hands in the forums, go to chenny's coaching, watch videos. It'll make you feel much better about your game and may just turn your results around :)
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      good luck grinding SnGs. practice and patience
    • Ickki
      Ickki
      Bronze
      Thanks, lessthanthree.

I keep busting, only one third place in the last 21 SNGs.

I'm gonna have to stop at this point and get some professional advice, otherwise I will bust.

BR: 16.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I hope our little chat today has helped and we see a turn around in your fortunes :P
    • Ickki
      Ickki
      Bronze
      The professional advice came quicker than I thought.

Thanks a bunch lennonac! Your review of my game certainly helped a lot. The downward trend is finally broken!

I'm two-tabling now, and want to get my BR back to safety (+25BI)
    • ppedrin
      ppedrin
      Bronze
      Hi there,

Are you playing turbos?Or normal speed?If you play turbos, try to play normal speed for a while till you'll reach safe zone.In fact to be comfortable to play turbos you need at least +10xBI rather than playing normal at 50xBI.

Good luck!
    • Ickki
      Ickki
      Bronze
      Thanks, ppedrin!

I always play normal speed, unless I want a really quick game. I'm considering turbos, when I move up to the 3s though.
    • Ickki
      Ickki
      Bronze
      I'm giving up.

Even after today's rake, I'm down to a BR of $11. Got a nice 5/6 ITM this morning, but only 2nd and 3rd places. And the games that followed that I lost everything again.

These $1s just seem impossibly hard to beat. And I'm about to go broke.
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      You'll be back. They always come back. :P
    • Vainis
      Vainis
      Bronze
      ged, you are 100% right!:D I said to my self about 50 times "I ll never play online poker" but it seems like a joke to me now :D
    • Ickki
      Ickki
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gedwashere91
      Thanks for your support, dude! I really appreciate it.

Not only am I back, but I'm getting more confident with my game. I just have a lot of studying to do.

I'm posting in the hand evaluation boards now regularly, and have been doing some more ICM training, especially for my calling ranges, after getting more comfortable pushing.

BR: $14
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gedwashere91
      Thanks for your support, dude! I really appreciate it.
      No problem man. There are a few people in this forum who provided fantastic support to me when I was struggling through the micros; learning to be a winning player is not an easy process. Keep studying lots and you'll get there though.

Just be wary, your BR is still in the epic dangerzone; even the best winning players in SnGs have 10BI downswings on a very very very regular basis, so you may just get unlucky and bust your remaining bankroll. Lets hope that doesn't happen :)

Good luck!
    • Ickki
      Ickki
      Bronze
      Thanks Ged!

I'm following your advice now and spent most of the day studying, not playing much.

I only single table now and review every single session of the non-turbo games.

I found some leaks in my game, and I'm working on plugging them with some extensive ICM training.

Keep the advice coming! :-)
    • Ickki
      Ickki
      Bronze
      I'm back to four tabling now. My downswing is broken, and it's going sideways with a slow but steady upwards trend.

I'm spending way more time studying now than playing. It's surely worth it.

BR: $22
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      hi mate. im not trying to be critical here so please dont take this the wrong way. I think you need more consistency in your game. going by the dates on the posts its only a week ago you identified that playing more than one table was a problem and you were defiently going back to one table. Now a week later you have had some advise (top advice no doubt) and some slightly better results and you are back at four tables. i cant follow the reasoning here
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by evertonroar
      hi mate. im not trying to be critical here so please dont take this the wrong way. I think you need more consistency in your game. going by the dates on the posts its only a week ago you identified that playing more than one table was a problem and you were defiently going back to one table. Now a week later you have had some advise (top advice no doubt) and some slightly better results and you are back at four tables. i cant follow the reasoning here
      I'm guessing he was 1 tabling just to regain confidence after the downswing he had. There's not much point playing SnG's one at a time, in the long run anyway.

If he feels confident enough 4 tabling, that's what's best :)

gl daniel