Call 20

• Royaltramp
      What does "Call 20" in the starting hand charts mean when dealing with a raise?

I just badly misplayed a hand because I wasn't sure about how much to call.

I called $0.02 (NL2) in late position with pocket 3s, I then got raised to $0.20, and unsure of what I was supposed to call with I called.

I lucked out, the flop came 4,3,3 - and I slow-played the other player, who had pocket As, managing to make $1.20 or so profit on that hand.

However I only called by mistake and I very much doubt that was the right decision - so I figured I'd ask here, just how much *do* I call when it says "Call 20"?

• 5 replies
    • demetrius2111
      your opponent bets 0.20, so you need 0.18 to call (having already bet 0,02)

your call is profitable if when you hit you and your opponent still have enough money: you win a big pot once every ten times or so, and this one pot has to bring in enough money that its worth calling the other 9 times.

therefore, you only call when your opponent and you both have left about 20 times of what you have to call ( in this case, both of you about 4.00 Dollar, which I doubt at NL 2 - so your call does not pay of on the long run:

1. hand loose 0,18
      2. hand loose 0,18
      3. hand loose 0,18
      4. hand loose 0,18
      5. hand loose 0,18
      6. hand loose 0,18
      7. hand loose 0,18
      8. hand loose 0,18
      9. hand loose 0,18
      10. hand your claimed profit 1,20
      -0,42 Cent

maybe I'm of with the percentage you hit your set a bit, but thats the concept
    • Royaltramp
      Ah right, so if he raised to $0.10 (we both had ~$2 stacks) it would have been correct to call - but in my current position it wasn't?
    • scscpoker
      Sometimes its too much to call w/ Call 20 rule too, not every opponent gives u so great implied odds so he pays u by whole stack every 2. time u hit ur hand
    • racenutalways
      Call 20 means the initial raiser need 20 times his raise in his stack for you to call. Seeing that sets hit only 12% of the time, you need to make sure those sets get paid to break even in the long run.

Set mining is an art in itself, you need:
      1) proper odds to catch your miracle 2 outer
      2) the right opponent who overplays their over pairs or play top pair hard and fast
      3)position is important, the blinds are the hardest to play sets from

Why didn't you raise your threes in LP, were you the 1st to act??
      The call of 10xBB was a bad call. Pairs don't hit often enough to sustain such a big raise.
      On the other side of the coin, when an opponent tells you he has aces(clue: 10xBB raise) and he's full stacked, nothing wrong in calling and punishing his bad play..... Note: gambling this way will dwindle your BR over the long run.

Here's how I play small pairs at full ring cash tables. I NEVER limp. You want to be the aggressor when your holding a pair, position as always is important until you have great reading skills to play OOP.

EP 88+
      MP 66+
      hijack(2 seats off btn)44+
      Cut off 44+
      BTN 22+
      Small Blind 22+
      Big Blind defend with 44+ fold the rest, same goes for SB "IF" you're being raised by a LP raiser. Smooth call 88+ from any raiser from EP or MP.

Playing poker passive won't make you winning player, aggression is important. you want control of every hand you enter. You win more hands over time by making you opponents fold pre-flop, taking the pot down with a continuation bet, and you see more turn and rivers, giving you amazing implied odds.

Remember "Limp are for Whimps"
    • Royaltramp
      I didn't raise because there were already 2 other players who had called before me, at least one of whom was very tight.

Normally I'd have re-raised or folded, but the player was BB, and also I was busy trying to find out what Call 20 meant, so I just flat called his raise and got lucky on the flop.

Here's the actual hand:

Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by

Preflop: Hero is BU with 3:diamond: , 3:club:
      UTG2 calls $0.02, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, CO folds, Hero calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, BB raises to $0.22, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.18, SB folds.

Flop: ($0.48) 3:heart: , 3:spade: , 2:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.34, Hero calls $0.34.

Turn: ($1.16) K:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.55, BB raises to $1.52 (All-In), Hero raises to $1.01 (All-In).

River: ($3.69) 4:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.69

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows four-of-a-kind, threes (3d 3c)
      BB shows two-pair, aces and threes (As Ac)

Hero wins with four-of-a-kind, threes (3d 3c)