[NL20-NL50] NL50 33(bb), bottom set, fr

• TetraQuark
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3, 3.
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $2.00, 4 folds, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) 3, 6, 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $2.50, Hero calls $2.50.

Turn: ($9.25) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.00, MP2 raises to $16.00, Hero calls $10.00.

River: ($41.25) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: $41.25.

Villain is a tag reg 17/12/2.0 4k hs

Flop - very dry, if I ch/r I basically flip my hand up, so worse hands don`t pay me, better(sets), don`t fold.

Turn - I decide to donk for value and protection if he picked up any bd`s(balancing floats?). Can argue if I can ch/r here. When he reraises me I think that he has bd`s + oc`s or higher sets. I think he only calls combo draws he is not to aggro + I donked and that must make his life miserable and dont really think he is raise/calling with less than 50% eq.

River - sucks hard, plan is to c/f.

Your thoughts?

Thank you!
  • 3 replies
    • AninIII

first thing I notice, that you call preflop for set value, am I right?
      Having said that, you are not willing to play for stacks when you actually hit the quasi nuts?
      Then I'd either fold preflop because you are oop or 3-bet as a bluff to make him fold a bunch.
      As played: Ch/r is mandatory, because you'd do that from time to time as a bluff on that kind of low boards, too.
      Turn: Donk is fine, because you can balance it with your oop floats on turn. But I'd simply shove after he raises. Villain can easily have a strong combo draw.

What did he have?

Best regards,
    • TetraQuark
      I don`t know where u play but this is fr nl50 on stars. Whole dynamics in this game is nitty ABC style. Against this particular opponent I never get stacks in on flop except if he has higher set. I cant remember when a 17/12 went broke with fd +oc on flop. If I ch/r I balance my air which imo I have pretty well balanced and I might get call from JJ QQ KK AA (also ppl with his stats folding those massively) and maybe 44. Imo there are a lot more combos of AT+ that second barrel on a lot of turn scarecards that I beat. So by ch/r I believe against this particular opponent I isolate myself most of the time and lose value if ch/r.

Spoiler: 88
    • Kaitz20
      If you think he would b/f there overpairs then either leading out yourself and going 3 streets for value or c/c is better play.
      Turn donk is fine. You can also c/r and play for stacks, but again not sure how many hands he is going to b/c that are worse hands than yours. b/c turn is fine until you´re not going to c/f on blank river card. not sure what hands he is going to raise your turn lead. if it is mostly two pair+ rather than overpairs then I think b/c is fine there. You´re just ending up all-in too many times against straights and higher sets and sometimes some combo draws rather than being way ahead.
      c/f river is fine.