This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50 33(bb), bottom set, fr

• TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $50.75
      BB (Hero):
      $50.50
      UTG1:
      $79.10
      UTG2:
      $72.00
      MP1:
      $51.75
      MP2:
      $71.30
      MP3:
      $11.50
      CO:
      $16.75
      BU:
      $55.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3, 3.
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $2.00, 4 folds, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) 3, 6, 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $2.50, Hero calls $2.50.

Turn: ($9.25) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.00, MP2 raises to $16.00, Hero calls $10.00.

River: ($41.25) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: $41.25.

Hi!

Villain is a tag reg 17/12/2.0 4k hs

Flop - very dry, if I ch/r I basically flip my hand up, so worse hands don`t pay me, better(sets), don`t fold.

Turn - I decide to donk for value and protection if he picked up any bd`s(balancing floats?). Can argue if I can ch/r here. When he reraises me I think that he has bd`s + oc`s or higher sets. I think he only calls combo draws he is not to aggro + I donked and that must make his life miserable and dont really think he is raise/calling with less than 50% eq.

River - sucks hard, plan is to c/f.

Your thoughts?

Thank you!
  • 3 replies
    • AninIII
      AninIII
      Bronze
      Hi,

first thing I notice, that you call preflop for set value, am I right?
      Having said that, you are not willing to play for stacks when you actually hit the quasi nuts?
      Then I'd either fold preflop because you are oop or 3-bet as a bluff to make him fold a bunch.
      As played: Ch/r is mandatory, because you'd do that from time to time as a bluff on that kind of low boards, too.
      Turn: Donk is fine, because you can balance it with your oop floats on turn. But I'd simply shove after he raises. Villain can easily have a strong combo draw.

What did he have?

Best regards,
      Anin
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      I don`t know where u play but this is fr nl50 on stars. Whole dynamics in this game is nitty ABC style. Against this particular opponent I never get stacks in on flop except if he has higher set. I cant remember when a 17/12 went broke with fd +oc on flop. If I ch/r I balance my air which imo I have pretty well balanced and I might get call from JJ QQ KK AA (also ppl with his stats folding those massively) and maybe 44. Imo there are a lot more combos of AT+ that second barrel on a lot of turn scarecards that I beat. So by ch/r I believe against this particular opponent I isolate myself most of the time and lose value if ch/r.

Spoiler: 88
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      If you think he would b/f there overpairs then either leading out yourself and going 3 streets for value or c/c is better play.
      Turn donk is fine. You can also c/r and play for stacks, but again not sure how many hands he is going to b/c that are worse hands than yours. b/c turn is fine until you´re not going to c/f on blank river card. not sure what hands he is going to raise your turn lead. if it is mostly two pair+ rather than overpairs then I think b/c is fine there. You´re just ending up all-in too many times against straights and higher sets and sometimes some combo draws rather than being way ahead.
      c/f river is fine.