NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      SB ($15.25)
      Hero ($52.80)
      UTG ($50)
      UTG+1 ($83)
      CO ($56.45)
      BTN ($59.05)

Dealt to Hero Q:spade: A:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $2, fold, Hero raises to $5.50, BTN calls $3.50

FLOP ($11.25) 7:club: 9:club: T:club:

Hero bets $5.50, BTN calls $5.50

TURN ($22.25) 7:club: 9:club: T:club: K:heart:

Hero bets $13.25, BTN raises to $48.05 (AI), Hero calls $28.55 (AI)

RIVER ($105) 7:club: 9:club: T:club: K:heart: Q:club:

Villain 16/14/5 wts 29, stl 29, (BU stl 46% (49)), Fold v 3b 50% (10), 4b 20% (2.7% range) 640hs.

Against this villain should we be suspicious when he tries to take control of the hand by shoving turn?
      i.e. given his stats we have to assume he has many worse hands here?

thanks.
  • 5 replies
    • falcone1983
      falcone1983
      Bronze
      ??

I don't get it. Did you post the right hand?

3bet bigger preflop, check/fold flop, as played I guess bluffing turn is fine, to a shove you're dead.

What in his stats makes you think he'll shove the turn with less than Ace high, no draw in a 3bet pot?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I also like c/f flop or if you take stab on the flop then c/f turn
      If you barrel I think you can´t call shove, since although he is shoving there A high flushdraw (and flush) you basically only beat his AJ since all the other hands has also pair with draws that he is calling pf.
      QQ-66, AQ-AT, KQ, KJs, QJs, and some other suited connectors
      Don´t think he is calling pf smt like A5o that you´re ahead on his shove turning range
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Ok thanks guys, it seemed at the time my play was really spewy but then he turned over A :spade: J :spade:

So, what I want to understand is: whether his play is also really terrible or what? for info, my 3b % is around 4-5% overall, 7% from BB.

About his stats: he steals 46% and only folds to 3b 50%, therefore his post flop range is really wide in 3b pots ip. We have to assume we are ahead of this and we need to find a way not to just get blown off the pot oop.

I agree, my bet/call on turn looks horrid since I am ahead only vs AJ (which he happened to have) and pure air.

Since I know he will do this kind of thing now, whats my best way to combat?
      thx
    • falcone1983
      falcone1983
      Bronze
      Well for starters, 3bet bigger pre & only do so with value hands (like 99+/AQ+/AJs/KQs, or even a bit wider).

On flops like these, OOP with a lot of money still behind, you're always going to get owned by someone with a wide range. But that's not a problem because on most other flops you just crush his range and will win a lot of money from him.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Ok thanks guys, it seemed at the time my play was really spewy but then he turned over A :spade: J :spade:

So, what I want to understand is: whether his play is also really terrible or what? for info, my 3b % is around 4-5% overall, 7% from BB.

About his stats: he steals 46% and only folds to 3b 50%, therefore his post flop range is really wide in 3b pots ip. We have to assume we are ahead of this and we need to find a way not to just get blown off the pot oop.

I agree, my bet/call on turn looks horrid since I am ahead only vs AJ (which he happened to have) and pure air.

Since I know he will do this kind of thing now, whats my best way to combat?
      thx
      yeah his play is quite bad, because of the same reason why your b/c is not the best. You have there so many pair+draw hands that you would b/c. Your 3-bet % is really low, so you can´t really have there really too many times Ac5x that he is ahead most of the time, so he is shoving without no fold equity and mostly behind
      To him: I would c/f flops where I can´t b/c turn since he is floating you so much and mostly just valuebet for value