Basic Hand Eval Forum Pointer

• Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Hi,

Just an idea, but I think it would be a huge help if in the "Basic" Hand Eval forums, the advice could be as clear as possible. As these forums are for players who are new, or learning new concepts.

So, for example, with Odds and Outs - when the evaluation is done it might be good for the coach (or the OP/Commentators) to change their comments from "You have 6 outs" to naming the specific cards they're talking about.

Also explaining what "clean" outs are; if there is a Gutshot SD, list the cards the player needs to complete this straight etc...

I'm just looking at this from a truly "beginner" point of view - and I think that this would help out all newbies...

Cheers
  • 11 replies
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Hey Helipacter,

I've asked Sven, our hand judging guy, to take a look at the thread :)

Hadi
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Cheers Hadi!
    • eteris
      eteris
      Bronze
      on the other hand you are not thinking, but just reading what other wrote.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by eteris
      on the other hand you are not thinking, but just reading what other wrote.
      This would be true if we were all born with an innate understanding of poker - but I was thinking about it from the Newbies point of view.

I was reading a response to one of my hands in the FL forum, I understood what was being said - but as it's a "basic" forum it should be readable to people who don't know things like hand rankings, or basic strategy, which is why I thought I'd mention it here.

Also, it should help those who understand the concepts, but haven't really tested it, just to reinforce if they're right or wrong.

Obviously, it all depends on the time each hand judge has to evaluate such things. If they've got to get through 30+ hands in an hour then it would be a bit much for them to explain everything...
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      he Helipacter, thanks for your feedback and pointing out that something that is obvious for most hand judges and probably you as well is not obvious for all new members here.

I am sure that if someone does his first post in our hand evaluation forum or the coaches somehow have the impression that this is in need of the additional information they will provide this extra information.

I'll point this thread out to our hand judges.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Cheers Sven - the judges will probably hate me for recommending it :f_biggrin:

Also, I think we shouldn't be scared to ask them "What do you mean by this..." even if it is entirely elementary to them.
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      yeah you are right Helipacter, you are invited to ask again if you did not perfectly understand the hand judges answer!
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Yeah lets support lazy people that didn't read the odds and outs strategy article.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      Yeah lets support lazy people that didn't read the odds and outs strategy article.
      You've kind of proven my point: people read, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they understand what they've read.

What I proposed was that the coaches reinforce the learning that beginners have to go through in order to progress.

So they read an article -> post a hand -> judge goes over the basics of the hand (odds and outs; basic texture reading of the flop etc.). It's just a method of getting the basics across to those who want to learn.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Yeah but its not coaches job to explain the whole odds and outs theory every hand he evaluate. If you don't understand the concept of odds and out your free to ask the question in nl bss strategy discussion forum, or on any other topic you might not completly understand.
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Guys, let's please not start bickering at one another, okay? :)