SSS: 9 Handed Position Adjustments

• ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      So playing on Full-Tilt means the I will never have more than 9 players on one table, so I am wondering what this means for position? Do we count from the blinds or from the button?

This is only really relevant for A Q, TT and 99 as all others are clearly early or late.

For example, Being dealt A Q and counting from the button we are 4 positions away and counting from the BB we are 3 positions away. Techincally I'm in both middle and early positions, but which do I play as?
  • 12 replies
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      In a 9 handed game I count the positions this way:

SB
      BB
      UTG
      UTG+1
      UTG+2
      MP1
      MP2
      CO
      BTN

The UTG guys are EP, the MP are... well, MP :P , and the CO and BTN are LP.
      Don't know if other players count it this way as well.
    • liquid85
      liquid85
      Bronze
      not exactly, you count positions starting with button and move back, so u've got:

button
      co
      mp3
      mp2
      mp1
      utg+1
      utg
      bb
      sb

meaning there are onyly two early positions, what was utg+2 in 10-handed is now mp1. knowing that you play accordingly to shc.
    • Utahmar
      Utahmar
      Bronze
      Only 2 early, right.
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Interesting. If I had to guess I would of said 3 UTG and 2 MP, which is actually how I'd been doing it up until I posted this topic.

Any other comments or some discussion on why you play your certain way maybe? Every reply is appreciated :)
    • mikeymoo
      mikeymoo
      Bronze
      My opinion:
      Positional plays in SSS are based on what you have and the chances that your hand is best with a certain amount of people to go. Therefore, we MUST count from the back. If I normally play something with 4 people left to act 10 handed, I want to do the same with 4 people left to act in a 9 handed game.
    • Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      Since the possitional advantage in hold'em is based on being the last to act, you need to count your position from the button. Any other way is wrong.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Philipvw
      Since the possitional advantage in hold'em is based on being the last to act, you need to count your position from the button. Any other way is wrong.
      Agreed.

I just count different from you guys (3 EP, instead of 2), because I don't use the SHC provided by pokerstrategy. Only when I play SSS (I usually play BSS).

Maybe I should've just kept my mouth shut. :P
    • Pacer357
      Pacer357
      Bronze
      Doesn't matter what SHC or whatever you play position is always relative to the button. If there is one player less left to act behind you your position will be better, slightly but still better. If you delete one middle position at a 9-handed game what would you do at 6-max? Just play early and late?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      from our strategy article

If you want to determine your own position you have count the seats between you and the dealer. You start with the dealer and count counter-clockwise.

* The dealer as well as the player left to the dealer are in late position.
      * The next three players are in middle position.
      * The next three positions are the early positions.
      * Last but not least we have the two blinds.

When there are only nine players at the table, the first early position drops out. With eight players left also the second early position drops out.
      Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pacer357
      Doesn't matter what SHC or whatever you play position is always relative to the button. If there is one player less left to act behind you your position will be better, slightly but still better. If you delete one middle position at a 9-handed game what would you do at 6-max? Just play early and late?
      I don't delete a Middle position. I just count different, in a 10-handed game I don't count 3 MP and 3 EP. I count 2 MP and 4 EP. Got it? I still count from the button.
    • Pacer357
      Pacer357
      Bronze
      Whatever works for you is fine my point was just for the players that dont have a fixed strategy and read a SHC. If they read your post they would think of it in the wrong way. Plus it's good to think of it in that way cause if you read an analysis the seats will be listed according to this rule.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      I understand what you meant and as I said, I should've just kept my mouth shut! :D

I count the seats the way it's taught in "No Limit Hold'em: Theory and Practice" by Sklanky. And since I use its preflop strategy (with a few modifications), It makes more sense to count seats his way.

P.S.: By the way, it's a very good book, highly theoretical and not recommended for beginners, but it has really improved my game.