Session Review Question

• Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      I asked something similar in the Beginner's Section, but no one replied - hopefully one of the coaches here will help.

I'm trying to review my sessions, but I'm not sure I'm getting it 100% correct. I go over my hands with PT3, the hand charts (I also use hand charts when playing live - just thought I'd add that) & pokerstove. I use the Hand Eval forums for hands that I think I played poorly with (regardless of if I won or lost).

What else should I do as a Micro-FL player trying to improve with regards to reviewing their sessions?

Does anyone have a set plan for their session reviews?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • 5 replies
    • Dawnfall26
      Dawnfall26
      Black
      Hi!

If what you wrote is true I am sure there will be no problem to beat microstakes but still samplesize is required. I would also suggest that you watch and rewatch all possible videos that you can get your eyes on and try to think about the decitions that coaches make.

Maybe you can also become more active in the forums...try to answer other players hands and you will see how well you are doing.

gl
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Yup, it's all true :f_biggrin: I find that using the hand charts is better than using pokerstove at the moment - but that's down to the crazy-folks on the micros who barrel every street with 93o hoping that you fold your overpair.

I'll get involved with the Hand Eval forum, if not to drill some of the odds into my brain so I don't have to waste time calculating it when playing. (I also need to watch some vids here, but 40+mins is a long time... maybe I should just stick to the free coaching sessions online?)

Dawnfall, I remember reading here that you would play for 30mins, then go away and go over your hands. Did you do anything different to what I'm doing (PT3 & Pokerstove)?
    • scett
      scett
      Bronze
      Hi, I play 6max FL 10 cent tables and just play JT and everythink above.. so far so good. Basicly that`s all U need to know about preflop playing micros... fish do the rest =)
    • cjheigl
      cjheigl
      Best review not only hands you think you played poorly but also hands you had a difficult decision. Often difficult situations are of recurring types. It is helpful to group the hands in categories like playing overcards, playing against turn raises and the like. Filters in PT3 can help you with that. If you review hands of a certain type you will get a much better feel for this kind of hand than by reviewing hands as they come. You can see if you played similar situations differently and think about why. Also post a typical hand of the category and see what the judges have to say about it. Note how different parameters in one kind of situations might change optimal play (things like position, position relatice to an aggressor, number of opponents, board structure, pot size and so on). In this way you not only learn how to play a certain situation in general but you will learn to judge the circumstances and react to them.

Another good exercise is to look at a flop and lay out a plan for the rest of the hand. What can happen to your hand? Which card on the turn or the river or which action of the opponent coukld change your plan? Compare to the actual play during turn and river. Was the play on turn and river in line with your expectation on the flop? With this kind of exercise you learn to be prepared to future develoments. You'll think quicker and better.

Playing around with an equity calculator may be relevating, but you need to learn to judge ranges first. If your ranges are off, no calculator can give you the right equity. This is where the hand judges can be of great value. If you post a hand, write down the range you expect and compare it with the range the judge gives.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Thanks for the excellent reply - it's the speeding up of my thought process that I'm trying to improve on, so the exercises you mention are great.

The grouping of hands is a nice idea. It will also help me decide on ranges with certain board types.

Using pokerstove doesn't really help with the micros I think. As people can go insano regardless of what they hold and what the board is. Though it is good to get ideas in your head as to what strength each hand is.

Also, by using the charts when re-evaluating my play, I'm already drumming in what hands are a good idea and which ones aren't for the future. For example, today I came across a hand where I tried to defend my BB from a MP raise with a K9s - though the charts say KTs is the minimum you should do this with - so it was a mistake that I (hopefully) won't make again.