Playing SSS against another SSS

• cyclist52
      cyclist52
      Bronze
      I am a beginner so perhaps this belongs in beginner questions, but since it is specific to SSS I am asking here.

As the article http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/169/1/ says you can adapt your play against an SSS player because you have better information about their range.

When dealing with a re-raise from an SSS the chart in the article talks about the ratio of stack size to raise-size. I find this confusing (whose stack and whose raise).

Is there a way to create a similar chart using pot odds? Wouldn't this also take dead money into account automatically?

As an aside/related matter the same article gives "standard all-in conditions after a re-raise" and I did not see that chart in the SSS articles which only had one range of hands for shoving over a re-raise. (Pot odds question applies to that chart as well)
  • 3 replies
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      when you speak of stack size you are talking of effective stack, that is the smallest stack out of the players still in the game. taking an easy example of 2 SSSers in a hand one with 200bb stack and the other 15bb stack the effective stack is 15bb as this the maximum one can lose or win in the hand. about whose raise is whoever raise. generally speaking if the raise is greater than 50% of the stack you might as well push all in.

I hope that answer your question :) or did I misunderstand it?
    • MeanGreen
      MeanGreen
      Bronze
      The stack:raise ratio is about the stack you have left when you need to decide if you have to push, the raise is the amount you raised with.

Let's say you raised to 5bb from CO (with 1 limper before you). The big blind decides to push, or at least reraise to more than your stack. If you started the hand with 20bb the ratio is 15:5 (15bb remaining, 5bb already invested), so you should push the hands with a ratio >= 3:1.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      when you speak of stack size you are talking of effective stack, that is the smallest stack out of the players still in the game. taking an easy example of 2 SSSers in a hand one with 200bb stack and the other 15bb stack the effective stack is 15bb as this the maximum one can lose or win in the hand. about whose raise is whoever raise. generally speaking if the raise is greater than 50% of the stack you might as well push all in.

I hope that answer your question :) or did I misunderstand it?
      Actually when there are more than 2 people in a hand effective stack is a bit more complex than that :)