U.S. Poker "Blackout" and the Future of Online Poker

• Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Hey guys, sorry if there is already a thread on this but I didn't see one. Link here for anyone who hasnt read about it.

What impact do you think the "blackout" will have on online poker? At the end of the 15 month period the Americans will at least possibly have a second poker boom with fish galore, but we will be locked out for a least 3 years.

Where will this leave us? Could this lead to the segregation of online poker?

I might be overreacting but I am very worried about the future of the game.
  • 15 replies
    • LONGPLAY66
      LONGPLAY66
      Bronze
      wsop.com is looking like the nuts.

and lots of the euro sites are gonna flourish.
    • LONGPLAY66
      LONGPLAY66
      Bronze
      ^^ cancel that, seems like normal service from now on.
    • LONGPLAY66
      LONGPLAY66
      Bronze
      ?(
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      wat
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      wat
      +1
    • vonki
      vonki
      Bronze
      So basically the 2p2 article states that they have inside information saying that US will make a "blackout" aka block all poker for US players for whatever it was, 15 months or something.

Sounds kinda scary.
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      It's not really much of a blackout, basically they want to legalise certain poker and gambling websites in the US, but any site that wishes to apply has to avoid dealing with US customers for 15 months prior to being accepted - but since sites have been able to operate fine as it is, not all sites will go for this - and some will continue to operate how they do now. Also, there are plenty of other poker sites from outside the US, so if it comes to it - just withdraw your bankroll and deposit elsewhere. :)
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Royaltramp
      It's not really much of a blackout, basically they want to legalise certain poker and gambling websites in the US, but any site that wishes to apply has to avoid dealing with US customers for 15 months prior to being accepted - but since sites have been able to operate fine as it is, not all sites will go for this - and some will continue to operate how they do now. Also, there are plenty of other poker sites from outside the US, so if it comes to it - just withdraw your bankroll and deposit elsewhere. :)
      yea thats not as simple as you put it.. if PS and FTP goes for it ( its claimed they probably will go for it ) the games will get much tougher on all sites..

Also it says 15 months later, when these sites will get their licences, EU players wont be able to play on them?
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      From what I have read, after the waiting period ends sites will be able to obtain a licence, but will be limited to serving U.S. residents only for at least 3 years.

Considering that they are constantly having problems with payment processors getting shut down and finding new ones is becoming more and more difficult, I don't think the big sites have much choice in the matter and will probably cooperate with the blackout.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I don't know if EU players are really gonna feel the difference... USA has about the same shark/fish ratio I imagine and there's the timezone difference anyway.

Maybe it's a good thing in the long run, we shall see...
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      I don't know if EU players are really gonna feel the difference... USA has about the same shark/fish ratio I imagine and there's the timezone difference anyway.

Maybe it's a good thing in the long run, we shall see...
      I dont think so.. Do you have any data to support this? I think on FTP and Stars USA players are huge part of the fish pool..
    • Joenaes
      Joenaes
      Black
      I agree with viewer. Lots of the regs are from USA to, I dont think there is any evidence to think that they are worse than other nationalities. Only problem being is that regs will find a way (moving out/VPN/etc.) whereas fish will just stop playing becaus it is too risky.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      We have a thread about this in the diamond forums. The biggest problem is that 50% of FT is American and 30% of stars is American.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Yeah it's definatly gonna hurt the big poker rooms hard when you think about the huge loss of rake generated. That means they will have too downsize and will propably have less money to spend on bonusses/freerolls/...
    • BLOWMEBABE
      BLOWMEBABE
      Bronze
      And I was thinking that only Estonia has problems with online poker. Interesting what will happen to FTP, I think we will see huge changes the next few years.