How to play top set on a draw heavy board?

• rarama
      rarama
      Bronze
      I play Full Ring .10-.25NL and this happens to me a lot. I'll flop the nuts with top set with flush and straight draw possibilities. So I'll bet the pot for protection plus I want to play a big pot with my nuts.... um... I meant "the nuts" haha. Than villain (or villains) folds. This probably happens AT LEAST every other day I play, it happens when I'm in position, out of position, heads-up, multi-way pots. It just happens a lot to me. I'm wondering if I'm losing value by betting here.

Because the way I'm thinking here is I either have to check or bet big. I don't think I can just bet the standard 2/3 sized continuation bet like it's suggested in the articles/videos on here. If he has any piece of the flop (even if it's just a draw) wouldn't I want villain to put maximum money in the pot? They say small hands you want to play small pots, and big hands you want to play big pots right? Using that theory I should be betting big here.

I could obviously check in this spot. But if there's the possible flush and straight draws shouldn't I be betting for protection?

I look forward to some of your thoughts on this!
  • 3 replies
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      i don't play much NLH anymore all just PLO for me but the way i look at it in these situations you should bet try end the pot, its better to win a little then lose a lot and if they call the bet on the flop and the turn is a brick you can happily close the hand on the turn << only my opinion
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      Bet, bet bet, you have the nuts, if they fold you take the pot, if they don't, they make a mistake because you did not give them the odds to call.

If you check you are giving them a free card and therefore you are making a mistake.
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      Because the way I'm thinking here is I either have to check or bet big. I don't think I can just bet the standard 2/3 sized continuation bet like it's suggested in the articles/videos on here. If he has any piece of the flop (even if it's just a draw) wouldn't I want villain to put maximum money in the pot? They say small hands you want to play small pots, and big hands you want to play big pots right? Using that theory I should be betting big here.
      2/3 pot is on a standard flop. If you have multiple draws on it then you should bet closer to the pot size (99 on a 789 suited board for example should be potsize bet in my opinion).

You should NOT check here because if card that completes draws comes out, you're lost since you can't play your hand anymore.

You bet, if you get called you bet at least 1/2 pot on the turn to kill the odds for him.
      Anyway, this hand is hard to play if a card that completes a draw comes out, so DON'T let this happen: make them fold the flop! Bet flop IS your line here.