[NL2-NL10] K9s vs 94s

• Polarbeard
      Ok, so this one needs to be put in context. There is that uber fish at the table and he calls everything with anything. Obviously, everyone wants to take a shot at his stack, so as soon as I have two semi decent cards, I limp in and try to get the fish to follow (wich he does at 75 (Vpip) % of the time). Many other players do the same... So here I go limping with K9s... Rest is histotry :(

I would like to know if I played this hand decently or if I could have done it in a different manner:

iPoker - £0.02 NL - Holdem - 10 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP+2: £1.67
      LP: £2.47
      CO: £2.58
      BTN: £5.86
      SB: £0.69
      BB: £4.08
      UTG: £3.20
      Hero (UTG+1): £6.10
      MP: £2.00
      MP+1: £2.00

SB posts SB £0.01, BB posts BB £0.02

Pre Flop: (£0.03) Hero has K:diamond: 9:diamond:

fold, Hero calls £0.02, MP raises to £0.08, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls £0.08, SB calls £0.07, fold, Hero calls £0.06

Flop: (£0.34, 4 players) 5:club: 9:club: 4:spade:
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, BTN bets £0.08, fold, Hero calls £0.08, fold

Turn: (£0.50, 2 players) 9:spade:
      Hero checks, BTN bets £0.12, Hero raises to £0.43, BTN calls £0.31

River: (£1.36, 2 players) 3:heart:
      Hero bets £5.51, BTN calls £5.27

BTN shows 4:heart: 9:heart: (Full House, Nines full of Fours)
      Hero shows K:diamond: 9:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Nines)
      BTN wins £11.11
      Hero wins £0.00

BTW, I got a few other horror stories in that session and I am happy to say that William Hill is pass story for me as my account is almost busto. it is a good thing because I hated the software and ran terribly there (I know i did not play well many times too, but my bad play was less costly than my bad luck imo). As soon as I can afford it, I am depositing in either Party poker, FTP or Stars.

Ho, and this is the hand that finished me ;-)

iPoker - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 10 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

LP: $2.52
      CO: $1.31
      Hero (BTN): $2.10
      SB: $2.04
      BB: $0.86
      UTG: $0.80
      UTG+1: $1.94
      MP: $2.00
      MP+1: $2.08
      MP+2: $3.23

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has 9:heart: 9:diamond:

fold, fold, MP calls $0.02, fold, fold, LP raises to $0.10, fold, Hero calls $0.10, fold, fold, MP calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.33, 3 players) 8:club: T:diamond: 6:club:
      MP checks, LP checks, Hero bets $0.24, fold, LP calls $0.24

Turn: ($0.81, 2 players) 9:club:
      LP checks, Hero bets $0.60, LP raises to $2.18, Hero calls $1.16

River: ($4.33, 2 players) 2:heart:

LP shows T:heart: T:spade: (Three of a Kind, Tens)
      LP wins $4.05
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      Hello Polarbeard,

Please don't post more than one hand, even if it's some kind of way linked to the hand, just post them in different threads and just say that it's linked to the other hand.

Hand #1
      Preflop: I would never limp, even if there is a big fish in game, also there are always fishes in NL2, also bigger ones, we don't have therefore to limp such hands to win money from them. Just fold it and wait for better hand and later position to play such hands.

As played
      Flop: I'd just donk out myself to protect from draws and get information about the other villains hands, who was the aggressor preflop.

As played if flop was Check/Called
      Turn: Likely donkout myself to get protection from draws and Calls from weaker hands. But against some aggressors Check/Raise is also considerable.
      River: I would never shove here, from how many hands do you expect get Called? Also we don't have the nuts, we only have got trips, there are still a lot better FHs what beat us, I'd just make a normal bet, ~£1 and act acordingly.

Hand #2
      Flop: Since we weren't PFA I wouldn't always donk out on such flop, more often played pot control line since the board is way too drawy and I often expect to get Called, better to play with our hand in smaller pots but ain't saying that it's wrong to donk out and protect from some kind of draws or overcards.
      Turn: Since flush & straight completed and we only get a set, I'd likely prefer to Check behind and to hit FH on river, if not then act accordingly his bets.

Best regards.
    • Polarbeard
      Thanks Veriz for your reply. You have very good points and I will meditate over them!

Also, I took good note of not posting two hands in one thread. Will do for now on.

I guess it was out of greed that I modified my game and started to limp. I usually wait for good hands to play; than it's 4BB + 1BB for each limper.

The reason behind my limps in this situation was to be able to back off without loosing 4BB if one of the 4-5 rocks with Vpip less than 7 decided to 3 bet me; while playing a maximum of hands when the fish was in. I was trying to be the first one to catch the fish.

I realize limping with mediocre hands was not the best thing to do.

I saw the fish lose 7 (smaller) stacks in a row before stacking at 5 pounds. I saw that guy call an all in bet with bottom pair just before and he just doesn't know where the fold button is.

On a final note, from my experience, on William Hills, there are not that many fish, depending on the time of the day. There is like 10-15 tables camped mostly by rocks and at the second a fish shows up, you see 5-8 players waiting for a place at the table. Usually, most of the table have a p/f of 8-12%.

Thanks again for your time and I will try to adjust accordingly =)