Stack
      SB:
      $3,76
      UTG1:
      $4,84
      Hero:
      $4,02

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9:diamond: , 8:diamond:
      UTG1 calls $0,02, 3 folds, Hero calls $0,02, 2 folds, SB calls $0,01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0,08) Q:club: , T:spade: , 7:club: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG1 checks, Hero bets $0,05, 2 folds, UTG1 raises to $0,14, Hero calls $0,09.

Turn: ($0,36) J:spade: (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $0,35, Hero raises to $1,40, UTG1 calls $1,05.

River: ($3,16) 2:spade: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $3,16

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG1 shows (Qs 9h)
      Hero shows a straight, queen high (9d 8d)

Hero wins with a straight, queen high (9d 8d)

Here is roughly what I was thinking during the hand:
      Flop: Everybody checks to me so I bet to start building the pot and get people to fold. I don't like the check-raise from UTG1 but don't think I can fold my OESD for 9c.
      Turn: My straight completed so I raise to protect from flush-draws and higher straight-draws.
      River: I didn't really think he had the spade flush since there was only one spade on the flop but didn't really know what to do by now.

Should have bet again on the river? There are many hands that can pay me off and if he has me beat he will tell me with a re-raise?
  • 4 replies
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      Howdy,

I'd play this very cautiously, because we are drawing pretty thin. Clubs may be dead for us, J doesn't give us nut straight, so there's just 6:heart: , 6:diamond: , 6:spade: left. May sound pessimistic, but getting reverse implied odds (in few words: possibility losing to better draw even if you hit yours) is never bad and that should be noticed.
      In fact I'd just check back flop, because of the reasons I stated before and bet turn.
      As played with betting flop I'd fold to a flop raise.

Good luck!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Flop: I would even consider just checking behind here, since there are a lot cards what would kill our action, even if we hit the straight, for example another :club: which gives us straight, also as played I would just Bet/Fold, even if we get that good odds. We still have to count away a lot of outs.
      Turn: Raising here is totally fine and likely for value and also protection from FD or something similar.
      River: I'd just bet for value here, even if the flush hit, it's a backdoor flush, and I still see him Calling with hands like set or something similar, even maybe 2pairs. I'd do it ~$1 at least.

Should have bet again on the river? There are many hands that can pay me off and if he has me beat he will tell me with a re-raise?

I don't expect that often to get raised there, very rarely and even if we do get raised, we still are able to fold, how often do you expect to see a backdoor flushdraw to raise us there on flop?

Best regards.
    • DesertStingray
      DesertStingray
      Bronze
      Thanks for the input.
      I hope I will remember it next time in a similar situation and play the hand differently.

- Ray
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by DesertStingray
      Thanks for the input.
      I hope I will remember it next time in a similar situation and play the hand differently.

- Ray
      You are welcome! Take always into consideration against who you are playing and think about the situation what would he do if he has the nuts there. Even if you don't have time in game to think about such things then do it after the game and evaluate your hands yourself and post them here and think about them. It will improve a lot your game when you post the hands and try to discuss them. Plays very important role in poker to overview your hands.