Playing while upset/angry?

• Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Do you still play when you're upset/angry? I worry it'll throw me on severe tilt, but at the same time when there's no way I can deal with the negative emotions - I don't want it taking away from time that could be spent on poker, so I'm thinking maybe I should learn to play even when feeling down etc.

Thoughts?
  • 16 replies
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Play only when you feel well. If you play depressed you make bad decisions, because you're thinking more about things that worry you than about poker.
      I remember playing depressed myself, i was like "You got it i know, take my money i dont care at all". I'm never playing down again.

Best solution is to have positive mindset 100% of the time.:)
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Yes
      What this guy said ^

Playing depressed is the worst thing to do imo. After you had a shitty week/day you hope that poker is giong to make you feel better...and that's when they call it gambling, aka playing to forget your problems.

Or unless you got some kind of crazymindset and you are able to put everything aside while you play then who cares how you feel before your session :)
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stevegold87
      Or unless you got some kind of crazymindset and you are able to put everything aside while you play then who cares how you feel before your session :)
      Heh, this is me.:)
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      I play sometimes when upset/angry... And then I mostly lose :D
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      If you're letting your emotions affect your game, leave the table, you're already on tilt.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      get in the cheapest game you can (preferably short handed or HU) it has to be so cheap that you absolutely do not care if you win or lose. Make moves every hand, laugh at peoples retarded play etc.

then watch videos or run do something that feels constructive. putting effort into something usually makes you feel better
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bradomurder
      get in the cheapest game you can (preferably short handed or HU) it has to be so cheap that you absolutely do not care if you win or lose. Make moves every hand, laugh at peoples retarded play etc.

then watch videos or run do something that feels constructive. putting effort into something usually makes you feel better

?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?(
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      play like phil hellmuth
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Get laid. (:
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      maybe this is problem why I am losing player, when I were not in deprresion, I was the best, but now, nahhh, can't concentrate.
    • sunden
      sunden
      Bronze
      I guess we need to learn it on the hard way, these of us there do it :P
      im not a winning player either, not sure if its the only cause tho, but obv a part of it (:
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      Yeah had a massive Barny with the girlfriend few days ago just as I was starting up my session.

Had the worst loosing session to date was a big chunk of my roll, bad times.

Well shes getting the blame anyways :s_wink:
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      being angry will not help your game, if you have a professional attitude about poker (i.e you are not a fish) you shouldn't play when you can't do your best.

learning to play while angry is not the solution. In every life we have some trouble but when you worry you make it double
      Don't worry, be happy......

Ain't got no place to lay your head
      Somebody came and took your bed
      Don't worry, be happy
      The land lord say your rent is late
      He may have to litigate
      Don't worry, be happy
      Lood at me I am happy
      Don't worry, be happy
      Here I give you my phone number
      When you worry call me
      I make you happy
      Don't worry, be happy
      Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style
      Ain't got not girl to make you smile
      But don't worry be happy
      Cause when you worry
      Your face will frown
      And that will bring everybody down
      So don't worry, be happy (now).....
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I play poker even when I am angry, I try to see if I am tilting or not, if I play not my A game, then leave, but happens that I forget my problems in real world when I play poker.

But I am very angry when I am in a tournament and father ask something to do quickly and I have to leave the tournament. Then do something quickly and go back to table.

One of the reasons I am cash game player is because I can leave the tables almost whenever I need.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      but happens that I forget my problems in real world when I play poker.
      You do realize that this is why people call poker players gamblers?
      Anything that you do to make you forget problems will eventually become a bad habit.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Originally posted by stevegold87
      but happens that I forget my problems in real world when I play poker.
      You do realize that this is why people call poker players gamblers?
      Yeah, but I still try to be a winning gambler, think about situations, so its not gambling.

Anything that you do to make you forget problems will eventually become a bad habit.

I don't think that "anything" is the good word. For example if I do sports, or party, or just do something fun and not harmful, I think its ok.