This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Ahh variance is destroying me!

• mishh06
      mishh06
      Bronze
      Hi everyone, i recently joint poker strategy and am an avid sit n go and tournament player. Anyway, i had my bankroll up from $50 to nearly $200 playing $2 and $5 sit n go's and the occasional $3 rebuy tournament, and i'm having the worst few days ever and my bankroll is down to $120! For example, i've lost the last 5 or 6 sit n go's in a row today when i was clearly ahead. The most recent loss came when i raised with AKo preflop to 180 with 1 caller and flop was A810 rainbow. So i push all in, he calls with A4 and the turn is a 4. I know i've been playing good poker but i just keep losing :( i don't know what to do. I think i'm going to take a break because this variance is making me feel like a horrible poker player. Anyway, i know downswings happen to everyone but i just felt the need to rant to try and make myself feel better :)
  • 2 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hi,

Unfortunately, poker is all about variance, especially SNG`s... I heard SnG coach saying, that from time to time he is having swings about 50 buy-ins down. He was playing higher limits, but still... just deal with it...
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      We all have downswings, so don't let that bother you. Just keep focused on playing your A-game and everything will turn around for sure. You just need the patience to get there! If you're taking a break: read and reread some articles and watch the coachings, ask them questions, post some hands out of the past and you'll improve your skills in meanwhile so I will be an even better player when you return to the tables.

Good luck!!