Poker is cruel sometimes...

• Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      A few months ago my girlfriend was getting kicked out of her old flat, and had nowhere to stay. I had the brilliant idea of moving in to one with her, using poker and a modest amount of student loan per week to pay for expenses and such. For the first couple of months this went great, I was winning a reasonable amount, and could keep up with bills etc (although I was spending a bit much on her and therefore didn't really ever accumulate any wealth :) ). During this time i took a few shots at NL50 which were reasonably unsuccessful as I had some amount of runbad which apparently didn't want to go away.

Uni just finished and therefore the student loan stopped kicking in. Bills just increased. Christmas about to happen. BANG.

Everything goes wrong. Set under set becomes common. KK AIPF becomes a losing proposition. AK vs AQ becomes a flip. Flips become dominations.

As an example, I went back and looked at some of the hands I c/r on the flop (of the last 20k) Coincidentally out of the 12 I analyzed, 6 were monsters and 6 were bluffs/semibluffs. Of those 6 monsters, 5 got folded to and the last one was shoved on - and my OESFD missed everything (against 2nd pair lol). Of the 6 bluffs, 1 got folded to and 5 got shoved on.

Poker, you can be really, really cruel.

Lifetime graph for those haters.

• 7 replies
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      lifetimw graph seems good i hope you bounce back
    • crodady
      crodady
      Bronze
      i know how you fell ..poker is always cruel ..last day i have so much strange beats but its ok becouse i dont expect to much from poker...last night i learn another thing..."opponent have a change to win a hand even if have only 1 out or 0.1% :f_biggrin:

ahh La vita e bella
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      if you're using poker as your source of income, try to have lots of money in the bank for the bills. You should have money to last a few months because the run bad can go on for a long time.

Your graph looks solid, you should bounce back in no time..

When there is run bad, there is bound to be run good. Look forward to the sharp jump coming your way!

Good luck at the tables!
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      the exact same thing happened to me when i left uni. I was playing superturbo 45mans with 200 BI BRM. ran at 60% ROI for about 500 games while working, job finished bills hit and a downswing hit. 200BI became 100 and i had to change games for fear of busting. I ran at BE for a month and had to get temp work. It was pretty lame

My mistakes were:
      - withdrawing too much for life
      - using marginal (although not terrible) BRM when I really needed the $$ (gambling)
      - putting in too much volume and not working on my game at all.

Try not to make the same mistakes and if the pressure comes on finacially try and seek part time or temp work rather than grinding too hard, a couple of days off poker per week and a bit less pressure make all the difference, plus your bankroll can grow rather than stay the same which should be the aim
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      actually i think poker is cruel always.
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by crodady
      "opponent have a change to win a hand even if have only 1 out or 0.1% :f_biggrin:

you forgot to add "5 times in a row"
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      by the way, you will get back up, that happens, this is poker, you got 3 sets beaten by oversets, you will get 3 oversets tommorow. That is poker. Just play your best game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9qZz-m6BL4

this helps me :f_cool: