Ax,SC,SP

• Tirys1703
      Tirys1703
      Bronze
      how to play pre-flop? EP and MP? Limp or raise?

0.05/0.10

example1:

Known players:
      BB = ($10.00)
      UTG1 = ($1.14)
      UTG2 = ($7.05)
      MP1 (Hero) = ($10.00)
      MP2 = ($10.00)
      MP3 = ($14.12)
      CO = ($10.00)
      BU = ($10.18)
      SB = ($10.00)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with :8c: , :8h: or :7s: :8s: or :As: :Ts: or :As: :5s: etc.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 folds, Hero ???

example2:

Known players:
      BB = ($10.00)
      UTG1 = ($1.14)
      UTG2 (Hero) = ($10.05)
      MP1 = ($10.00)
      MP2 = ($10.00)
      MP3 = ($14.12)
      CO = ($10.00)
      BU = ($10.18)
      SB = ($10.00)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with :8c: , :8h: or :7s: :8s: or :As: :Ts: or :As: :5s: etc.
      UTG1 folds, Hero ???

example3:

Known players:
      BB = ($10.00)
      UTG1 = ($1.14)
      UTG2 = ($10.05)
      MP1 = ($10.00)
      MP2 (Hero) = ($10.00)
      MP3 = ($14.12)
      CO = ($10.00)
      BU = ($10.18)
      SB = ($10.00)

UTG1 folds, UTG2 call (0.10), MP1 fold, Hero ???
  • 2 replies
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      Example 1 or 2 are raises or folds imo. If you limp you give your opponent odds to limp in position. You are also putting money in a pot against players which could have any2 cards (BB), so it will be almost impossible for you to control the hand because there is no hand range to put a potential villain on.
      I would definitely raise or fold here, depending on the statistics of the table.

Example 3: A limp is more possible here, however the fact that 2 limps will make in position players get into the pot you run the risk of putting money in a pot to play out of position, which is never a pleasant thing.

I personnally generaly fold those hands UTG, and sometimes early MP (position is so important!). Except maybe for 88 or ATs that I would raise sometimes (not everytime) and only if I did not play a hand for some time, to keep my player image as a "not so tight" player to get called when I raise my aces.

However there are starting hand charts available, you should stick to them until you have enough experience to understand what you are doing (and what you are willing) with your hands in early positions. Playing OOP is allways difficult, so I would simply recommend to avoid such borderline situations until you get comfortable enough to play them.

You will never acquire a good experience by getting into situations that confuse you. Just avoid them, with patience and time you will understand better and better what is happening, and you will find yourself willing to play some of such hands to achieve a specific goal at a particular table or against particular opponents. But let time and patience teach you this :)

Good luck at the table!
    • SanderDeclerck
      SanderDeclerck
      Bronze
      I agree with DoigteurFou, don't play the SC and ace-rags oop. those are CO and BTN hands imo...

Also, don't open limp, you can overlimp if you want, trying to hit a really strong hand or draw in a multiway pot. But just dont open limp, there's a good reason for raising: you gain control of the hand, you can take down tons of pots on the flop with an easy c-bet! Also, there's an other way to win the pot too, hitting a set or a flush or a straight...