What is better to play?

• 11 replies
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Hello,

I think you should just play whichever game interests you most. However, as fixed
      limit games can be hard to find and shortstacking is pretty much obsolete on the big sites(Stars/FT), I would recommend BSS.

Hope it helps.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      i wouldnt recommend BSS if your a beginner you are more likly to make mistakes therefore sss is better because if you do make a mistake you wont lose as much.... and to pick fixed or no limit really depends on your game as there both equally as difficult as each other for different types of players
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      imo sss is dead, at least alot more dead then used to be..so bss is better to learn, it needs more time then sss but at least you will have something that you will use in the long run
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      Why is SSS dead? I stopped playing poker during 1 year and a half, and at that time sss was everywhere. I switched from sss to bss and stopped playing. And now I come back I don't see anyone, but I don't understand why...
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      coz FT/stars doesnt allow 20bb buyins where 100bb can buyin too, only 20-50 or 35-100. thats why
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      BSS. You actually learn poker..

@pogodon: yes you can make more mistakes but, your edge is bigger because other people make mistakes.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fusionpk
      BSS. You actually learn poker..

@pogodon: yes you can make more mistakes but, your edge is bigger because other people make mistakes.
      how would your edge be bigger by hoping somebody makes a mistake, i never play sss but people always tell me if im starting out i should play sss because less risk but i suppose if its FL it dont matter much
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      @pogodon: did you even read the original post? He is asking SSS, BSS or FL for a beginner. I suggested BSS because it teaches you good poker concepts and it really is the way to go these days. SSS is an option but imo BSS is a much better option.

Of course you have a bigger edge in BSS (assuming you are a winning player, which you will be after reading all the articles and playing some hands etc), stacks are much deeper and there is much more room for play. SSS is a game of smaller edges.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fusionpk
      @pogodon: did you even read the original post? He is asking SSS, BSS or FL for a beginner. I suggested BSS because it teaches you good poker concepts and it really is the way to go these days. SSS is an option but imo BSS is a much better option.

Of course you have a bigger edge in BSS (assuming you are a winning player, which you will be after reading all the articles and playing some hands etc), stacks are much deeper and there is much more room for play. SSS is a game of smaller edges.
      ok
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      As a beginner i guess that short stack strategy is the best since you don't want big decisions on the turn or river, so if you have a good hand pre- or postflop you just want to get it in.

When you get better the big stack strategy is better because now you can try to outplay other players, and that is normalt not what you want to/can as a beginner.

Fixed limet is the hardest game since you dont have you scary all-in move against the good players (so its very hard to bluff), and in fixed limet you wanna play connected and suited hands since you get a good price to draw. This might be the most skilled hold'em game you can play.

So after my opinion you should start playing short stacked, but you have to know that its hard to bluff on the turn or river since you only have about 20 bb, so you have to almost just play you good staring hands, or getting the right odds to play.

But good luck with your poker. ;)
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi

Every strategy have their advantages and disadvantages you have to choose one that suits you.

SSS for example is an easier strategy at least at low stakes because it follows simple rules. learn those rules follow them and on the long term you will earn money. However it is very robotic, the w/r is generally very small but compensated by the rake. Also it is very prone to variance since most of the decision are made preflop or on the flop so you have to be able to handle steep downswings at times.

BSS is a lot more complex game but surely more enjoyable and more thorough, the variance is less than SSS but when you lose a big pot you lose a lot more than you would on SSS so you need to be able to handle that and keep going. BSS as bigger learning curb and to become a good player requires a lot more study. have a try at both and see which one you prefer playing.