This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] AK - top two pair, to back down or not to?

• StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $28.33
      Hero:
      $29.7

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with A:club: , K:club:
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, 6 folds, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.10) K:spade: , J:diamond: , 8:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.65, BB calls $1.65.

Turn: ($5.40) A:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $3.4, BB raises to $14.75, Hero raises to $27.05 (All-In), BB calls $10.93 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

River: ($56.76) 5:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $56.76

Hey guys, this is the first hand I have posted here so I'm sorry if I've not followed any rules/etiquette! I've just recently moved up to NL25 after working through NL5 and NL10

The obvious question is was I right to go all in on the turn in the face of such a big raise. I did not have any stats on the villain. My thoughts were that I'm ahead in this situation often enough to put it all in, I figured a lower two pair or top pair with the draw to the nut flush are well within the range. I was wondering if other people see it that way or think that I should have backed off on the turn raise?

James
  • 2 replies
    • StaticMoth
      StaticMoth
      Silver
      Obv this is a spot where you will be hating your life but imo you have to go broke unless you know your opponent.

You have top two, I feel like majority of the players would c/r with an OESD, esp with QT of :spade:

He can also have AJ/AT of :spade: etc etc etc ... lots of possibilities/combos

Obv a lot of the times you are gonna see QT there, but vs unknown and
      all the possible hands he could be doing this with ... it's a real close 50/50 spot

Board: Ks Jd 8s Ah
      Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
      Hand 0: 49.669% 45.50% 04.17% 961 88.00 { AcKc }
      Hand 1: 50.331% 46.16% 04.17% 975 88.00 { JJ, 88, AKs, AsQs, AJs, AsTs, A8s, KJs, QsJs, QTs, JsTs, AKo, AJo, A8o, KJo, QTo }
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think two pairs or 88 are mostly raising on the flop.
      So that leaves the question does he ever c/r that big anything else than QT. You should also see there A8, AJ and maybe some A high flushdraws, although passive players rather tend to c/c these hands. Second question is if he would even call pf utg raise with QT, he would likely call with QTs, but more often people would flat there AJ.
      I think you shouldn´t b/f top two pair, since he likely take c/r line on the turn with worse hands and sometimes smt like AsQs or AsTs that you´re ahead. So although I´m not happy getting all-in I´d still bet/shove turn