Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP1:
      $5,31
      Hero:
      $6,17

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.88 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: , K:heart:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0,17, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0,45, 3 folds, MP1 raises to $1,42, Hero calls $0,97.

Flop: ($10,69) A:diamond: , 8:spade: , 4:diamond:
      MP1 raises to $3,89 (All-In), Hero calls $3,89.

Final Pot: $10,69
  • 5 replies
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      vs unknown in NL4 I go allin preflop with AK. Unless you had noted something special in the 8 hands you saw him play (especially for the hands he revealed at the showdown that would give you informations about his preflop play) that tells you that he is really tight, I'd just reraise allin preflop. Especially because

However, calling allin on the flop hitting your ace is perfectly okay vs unknown. The only 3-bet hands that would beat you here is AA, and he could play like that with any ace, or semibluff with two diamonds, you are way ahead of a typical nl5 unknwown imo, so:
      nice hand :)
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      my plan here was to shove any A or K flops and check/fold rest - ok?
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      If you call to see the flop then this is the best plan you have imo. That's why I prefer to get allin preflop, so that you will see more showdowns with your "monster hand" :) . Your only risk is AA and KK, so the higher the limits the less you can 4bet allin AK preflop because your oponents will have a better preflop play. But at this limit they often go broke preflop with AJ, so just take the money :)
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YourDoom
      my plan here was to shove any A or K flops and check/fold rest - ok?
      Pretty shit line imo, ship it pre. Think abt it this way, you are check folding the majority of flops, so you are just giving $1.40 away the majority of the time. Then when you hit, you are MUCH less likely to actually get a call by a worse hand to pay you off, I actually think this play is -EV. Veriz or someone will probably give you a better insight. All you have to do is assign him a 4b range and say to yourself "does my hand play ok vs this range?" If you figure you are doing ok vs his range then ship. If you think he only 4b KK+,AK then fold. Simple.
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      I'd also just get it in preflop.

Calling the 4bet is not necessarily bad, but if you plan on folding on non-A or K-high boards, it is (as fusikpk explained).
      So if you don't know how to play postflop the times you don't hit, getting it in pre is definitely the better line.