On the brink of loosing it

• godders248
      godders248
      Bronze
      Hello guys just thought id post something from my week of exploits at poker. I have been playing all week hard 10 hours a day i started the week with £50 br and been playing 3.20sngs all week my variance has been all over the place i got up to £82 then went back down to 50 and so on ....
      But today took the piss i got smashed 4 times with AKsuited against Q5 off, K7, and a 7,3 i was so close to loosing it my bankroll hit a pathetic £11

So i went out for a cigarette got a bottle of coke and decided that i was better than this so i entered a 18 man sng 6.50 on stars. Played for 2 hours and was on the edge of my seat but i came 2nd and cashed 32.40 so happy days.

I thought id share it with you guys as i was close to giving up and was tilted but i weathered the storm and got through it.
      Gotta love poker !!!!

p.s If anyone is also sng player from U.k and wants to talk strategy let me no as looking for some circles of people in uk :)
      godders248

"Quitters never win, winners never quit"
  • 14 replies
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      try BRM next time.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      yeah stick to BRM.

If your playing at stars, play the 25c 45-mans utill you have $100. then move up to the $1 45 mans, then when you have like $300 you can think about playing the $3 S&Gs....
    • cjheigl
      cjheigl
      #3 and this is why:

You can be the best player of the world but it can happen you loose 20 tourneys in a row. There is always a probability to lose a tourney that is greater er than zero, so there must be a probability greater than zero you lose two tournaments in a row. This is not a matter of skill, it's just plain mathematics of probabilities. This is also true if you are a winning player.

Then, if the probability of losing 2 tournaments in a row is greater than zero and losing a single tourney is greater than zero, losing three tourneys in a row must be also greater than zero. Those probabilities may get smaller, but they are greater than zero all the way. You probalby have an idea where this is going: whatever the number tourneys is, it is mathematically absolutely certain you will lose that many tourneys in a row if you play enough tourneys. The probability of it is getting smaller and smaller all the way but this means only you need to play more tourneys and it will happen some day.

Luckily there is a break on this: your lifetime is limited. If the number of losing tourney in a row is large enough you probably can't play the required number of tourneys in a lifetime if you are a winning player. (Losing players can't be saved.) This is where bankroll management kicks in: proper bankroll management diminishes the chance you lose so many tourneys that you lose your bankroll. A lot.

When you play with 100 buy ins instead of 20 your chance of losing your bankroll is way, way smaller. It is not 5 times smaller, it is more than 100 times smaller because those probabilities compound.

Your story is an uplifting one: a man got in trouble and expended all but the last bullet, but he turned the the tables and got out with merely a scratch. But you shouldn't get that deep into trouble in the first place. If you play with a proper BRM you may get a scatch here and there but you will last very much longer. Tourney play is much about preserving your chips with calculated risk. BRM is just the same only on a higher level. Do it. Pass on those nerve-wrecking going broke experiences. You won't miss them.
    • godders248
      godders248
      Bronze
      Cheers guys i have set myself a more efficient brm and now am playing more relaxed and winning due to the lack of pressure im putting on myself at the moment im playing sng and some cash but not sure what i prefer as both have benefits.

Im going to multi table two cash and two sngs at a time and see what my results look like after 5000 hands :)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by godders248
      Cheers guys i have set myself a more efficient brm and now am playing more relaxed and winning due to the lack of pressure im putting on myself at the moment im playing sng and some cash but not sure what i prefer as both have benefits.

Im going to multi table two cash and two sngs at a time and see what my results look like after 5000 hands :)
      5000 hands is a nothing sarmple. 20,000 hands minimum, even then its just a rough idea.

Also i wouldn't recomend multi tabling S&G AND cash, because they require diffrent skills to be succesful. As your just starting out you should just focus on one or the other.
    • godders248
      godders248
      Bronze
      ok Cheers again ! guessing this is why these forums are for helping one another.
      Im gonna stick to low limit cash as playing abc poker seems to work been playing for 40 mins and gone from £5 to £18 just playing made hands and aggressive when i hit.

After this session tonight i was thinking about posting my hands so someone could evaluate them for me ??? where do i do this.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      Originally posted by godders248

5000 hands is a nothing sarmple. 20,000 hands minimum, even then its just a rough idea.

Also i wouldn't recomend multi tabling S&G AND cash, because they require diffrent skills to be succesful. As your just starting out you should just focus on one or the other.
      + 1

Stick to one or the other
    • RGOD2
      RGOD2
      Bronze
      Rehab s For Quitters ,
      So After putting in all those hours say Over 50 a week . What did you Learn that there are plenty of loose players who will call raises with rubbish and hit. but in the long Run Ak will Prevail. won t even get into the Wages per hour you are giving yourself as I too Have ran a sweat shop with one neglected employee, Myself!!!!
    • godders248
      godders248
      Bronze
      This is was poker is all about though this week i have learnt alot about players online i use to try win every pot but now i appreciate a good fold :) and also that dicipline is key and im writing all mistakes down and when i do bust out i just move on because sitting negged out will only make me loose money !!!

Goals by xmas day

- Have a positve p/h rate of +£3
      - stick to one game type eg SNG
      - smash out 20,000 hands
      - + bankroll to £100

11days to go !!! lets have a happy positive ROI christmas :D
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Better to learn to play 500 hands well than 'Smash out' 20 000, many of which may be played mediocre at best.

Don't give yourself monetary goals they just add pressure when it all goes tits-up.
      Forget hitting win rates, bb/100 or $ph, blah blah blah.
      Concentrate on the game and learning to make good decisions and the rest will come without you even realising it.
      GL.
    • cjheigl
      cjheigl
      Remember you are still learning the game. Your focus should be on learning the game. Winning money is fine and keeps your motivation up, but you you shouldn't focus on monetary goals this early. If you learn to play well, money will come your way by itself. The time you invest in learing the game now will pay back later manifold.

Posting hands is a very good way to learn from experienced players. You do this on the hand evaluation boards. Have a look here: Hand Evaluation Boards - What you need to know.

Watching a video or two can't hurt either. You may also visit a live coaching where you can see pros playing live and explaining their play.
    • godders248
      godders248
      Bronze
      Awesome :) thankyou for your help i have been reading harrington on hold em which is really good any other recommendations of books that have helped you ???
      i have been through most of the articles on here takign notes its just putting it all together and knowing what stage im at of how good i am !!!

Godders248
    • McHallow
      McHallow
      Bronze
      I just read Easy game by Andrew seidman, my mate lent me it, and it's a good book, definitely worth a read. Though the second part it definitely way too complex to think about using at our stakes I think, the first part gives a good understanding though.
    • cjheigl
      cjheigl
      I can't really help you with tournament books because I'm sitting in the fixed limit cash game corner. Perhaps you can get help in the Poker Media board.