from live to internet, struggling here, what doing wrong?

• klotenbag
      Hey guys,

I have been playing live poker for a year or 4-5 with friends and in pubs, and I've always been able to make a nice profit there, from cash games and STT's and MTT's, NLHE. I've always considered myself to be a good player because I never struggled there and my moves when I made them seemed to work and I was capable of picking a lot of bluffs my opponents made.

That's one story. Now I'm playing online. I've put some 30-50 dollar on before, like 3 times before and now the fourth time and I'm still a losing player. For some reason the transition is very hard for me because you just can't get ANY read on ANYone and for some reason I get WAY less respect online. So I try to follow for example the starting hands chart and the post flop play suggested here for the low limits but it leaves me wondering, there is NO space at all for mixing it up, you could just as well make a bot (not that I would EVER do such a thing, but for arguments sake) that only plays AQ+ and 99+ or whatever. I'm not getting the impression that I'm putting anything in from myself. Also here on the internet moves that I make are ALWAYS spotted and when I think someone else is making a move on a paired flop they always seem to have the goods. What am I doing wrong?

TLDR: Transition from live poker to internet poker is hard for me, no reads here, can only guess, there's no room for creativity because people don't fold hands anyway, I just seem incapable of making it online and can anyone who had the same problem or knows more about this help me?

Thanks in advance!
  • 3 replies
    • elhh82
      you first have to acknowledge that much of what you did before when playing live, was wrong.

The lives games you played are most probably much softer than what you are encountering online. That's why your old play book never seems to work, many of those plays probably never should've worked in the first place if you were playing against competent players.

You should leave any ego aside and learn to play from scratch again. Whatever ideas you had about the game before this should be discarded.

In a way, it will be easier for you to pick up the game properly, because you already know some things about it, but it will also be tougher for you, because you will need to force yourself to unlearn certain aspects of your game.
    • JonikoP
      There is tonnes of room to mix up your play and make moves but first you need to grasp the fundimentals which you just don't need in super-soft live games. In those games you can make massive mistakes and still win at a decent rate simply because your opponents make more and bigger mistakes.

As elhh82 says, you really need to start learning how to play a theoretically better game which will still be profitable against better players. Once you know the theory you can add some of your creative moves - but in an environment where they are more likely to be successful.

The starting hands chart is really just designed to give you a solid basis which will be profitable at the micros - it is not optimal and you will learn to adapt opening ranges based on your opponents.

On the plus side with the live reading skills that you already have plus sounds maths and theory you'll be a pretty damn good live player.

Good luck!
    • klotenbag
      Thanks for the replies guys, this actually kind of helps.