improve EV calculation

• eqlipt
      eqlipt
      Bronze
      need an advice on how to improve my EV calcuation skill. now it takes tons of time even while analyzing my played hands. prolly some software with examples, explanations and practice hands?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Can you describe the process you go through to find out the EV right now?

If you can give an actual example of how you do it I can do look at it and suggest a few things that could speed up the process.
    • eqlipt
      eqlipt
      Bronze
      the basic process is as follows:
      1. estimate oppenent's hand range (HEManager)
      2. put it into Equilator along with my cards and current board
      3. note opponent's chances of folding to bets/raises at a current situation (HEManager)
      4. actually calculate numbers

Let's say I have 1 opponent who is in position
      So first I would look at opponent's VPIP and probably my notes about this player. Doesn't take a lot of time. Finding out his range takes me to something like http://www.pokerhandrange.com/ and consumes some time. Filling in Equilator takes even more. And finally calculation itself may take an eternity and will look something like
      EV(bet)=pot size*chance him folding + possible outcomes of him calling*chance him calling
      while these outcomes also need calculations..

I'm probably doing something wrong as this process is not applicable to a live game
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by eqlipt
      the basic process is as follows:
      1. estimate oppenent's hand range (HEManager)
      2. put it into Equilator along with my cards and current board
      3. note opponent's chances of folding to bets/raises at a current situation (HEManager)
      4. actually calculate numbers

Let's say I have 1 opponent who is in position
      So first I would look at opponent's VPIP and probably my notes about this player. Doesn't take a lot of time. Finding out his range takes me to something like http://www.pokerhandrange.com/ and consumes some time. Filling in Equilator takes even more. And finally calculation itself may take an eternity and will look something like
      EV(bet)=pot size*chance him folding + possible outcomes of him calling*chance him calling
      while these outcomes also need calculations..

I'm probably doing something wrong as this process is not applicable to a live game

During a live game is somewhat hard to calculate your EV but what you can do is estimate.

What I mean by that is that you can do calculations when you are not at the table and as you do more and more you'll see patterns or get a fair idea for what a hand/play might be worth in a spot. So then when you play a hand you get to estimate more accurately where you stand.

The reason these calculations take so long is because for each action there is usually a reaction and a tree like scenario emerges.

The fastest way to do them would be using a program like StoxEV.