How does RNG work?

• SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      After a recent discussion in PT3 forums I became interested in following question:

When does RNG determine cards for the board?

Is the board predetermined after the hole cards are dealt or RNG keeps "spinning" (so to say) and choses each card of the flop, river and turn separately?

In other words if I fold A :spade: T :spade: pre-flop and flop comes Q :spade: 8 :spade: 2 :spade: does that mean that I would have had flopped a flush if I had stayed in the hand? Or RNG is still spinning while we make our decisions pre-flop and if I had stayed in hand flop would be different?

I was hoping that it is predetermined, which would mean that it is "fairer" and closer to reality (dealer doesnt shuffle the cards during the live game, does he?), but moderator on PokerTracker forums said otherwise, which really dissapointed me.

So how does it works? Any experts out there who actually know? There must be some regulations for this anyways.
  • 3 replies
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Depends entirely on the room, some rooms have card shuffling algorithms, so each table will basically have its own deck of cards and regardless of call or fold the flop will come the same, however if the room has real time card shuffling, i.e. the RNG is called once the flop is to be dealt, it should theoretically be different because the cipher would be at a different point. In the past some rooms have released their RNG algorithm to prove fairness. One room in the past released their algorithm and there was a massive exploit which meant that someone could replicate the shuffle and figure opponents hole cards!
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      And how would I know which room has which kind of algorithms?
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      You don't know unless they released their card shuffling algorithm. It doesn't matter anyway? Infact imo its better if its not even a shuffling emulation, if it is literally determined by grabbing a random number from one big universal cipher it would be much better since it would make it so hard for anyone to be able to exploit. For example, if they had one big cipher for every hand in the game, or every hand on that particular server then think how hard it would be for someone to exploit? Say someone figured a way to predict everyones whole cards, they could reverse stars' algorithm, if the cipher was rotating 99999 times a second they are never going to be able to piece it together. It's hard for me to talk about because I really don't know exactly how rooms do it, all I know is that how they do it is almost completely irrelevant.