No middle phase on pokerstars?

• SeriousThreat
      SeriousThreat
      Bronze
      I moved from FullTilt to Pokerstars. As majority will know, then blind structure differs on these platforms..
      It wasn't hard to get used to pokerstars blind structure, but I met some problems..

1. There's almost no middle phase on pokerstars. If I don't get into almost any hand, then my stack is around 1300 at blinds 25/50, that means I'm ~26 BB deep. So very few hands I play at middle phase. And then blinds increases for 50/100, which directly pushes me on late phase with less than 13 BB or around that.
      So should I make some middle phase moves when blinds stands at 25/50 or just skip this middle phase on pokerstars?

2. Antes for me is new stuff. How do I adjust to them? If there's blinds 100/200 and antes 25, should I pluss these for BB to make correct stack calculation?
  • 8 replies
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Using ICM Trainer is a good way to get used to the antes. Also set it for high blinds with 6-8 players left, which can happen with so many nits sometimes on stars.

Action at 25/50 probably depends on the buyin, for $6.50 turbos I think of the 25/50 level as 'the repush phase' - where if you try to open steal or even raise a decent hand there will by a perfect size stack to put you to a decision all in.

On stars in that level I prefer to be the restealer against some players and just flat call others depending on circumstances.

I open fewer pots myself - maybe limp/reraise AA KK for 'deception'. On the other hand you could open more medium hands and know you can get away easy from a reraise. I'd be interested to know what others think.

The fast structure at stars makes me want to get in more pots early, I don't know I think this might be better on a tight table than a loose table where the maniacs and fish can knock each other out quickly.
    • SeriousThreat
      SeriousThreat
      Bronze
      No any other comments?
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      you need to be very active when the antes are introduced. the 100/200/25 has the biggest ante effect so you need to widen up considerably here.

say you're 6 handed at 100/200/25, the pot is 450 instead of 300 (if without ante). So what's useful is you can think of it like you're playing 150/300, instead of 100/200/25. So a 1500 stack should be played like 5bb, not 7.5bb

*this is what i understood from the videos i watched, but never played on stars myself*
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      25/50 and 50/100 is kinda like the middle fase.. you get a lot of steals, resteals and still some postflop action.

I kinda like that you get to the push/fold fase quick.. you have a big edge there if you know some ICM and you can get a higher hourly I'd expect. How long does the average tournament on fulltilt last? (you can see this in HEM)
    • zamoda
      zamoda
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      25/50 and 50/100 is kinda like the middle fase.. you get a lot of steals, resteals and still some postflop action.

I kinda like that you get to the push/fold fase quick.. you have a big edge there if you know some ICM and you can get a higher hourly I'd expect. How long does the average tournament on fulltilt last? (you can see this in HEM)
      ~35 minutes for turbo 9 man
    • Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Bronze
      25/50 is the only one blind level that may be considered as a middle phase, a lot of steals-resteals on this level, sometimes 50/100 can also b considered late-mid game (depending on stack sizes).

Playing with antes makes it more profitable to steal/re-steal especially when there is still enough players at the table, there is a lot of difference between 100/200 and 100/200/25, luckily majority of the players treat two stages as one.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Well, I guess the buyin matters, but as far as I'm concerned (playing $6,5 SnGs):

1. The early phase is first and second blind levels

2. I consider 25/50 and 50/100 to be the middle phase, however, I tend not to steal lightly, and I rarely openpush, even if the push-or-fold chart suggests so. But this is just based on my experience, I feel a bit more comfortable with raising and then calling or folding if I have the fold equity. Plus this way many bad players can also call from the BB.
      As it was mentioned, this is the perfect phase (especially the 50/100) for resteals. If someone raises to 250 (pretty usual, 2.5BB), then you can make it very hard for him with a 1300-1700 chip allin.

3. After 100/200 starts, stealing should also start, sometimes lighter, more or less as the push or fold chart suggests, but there are tables which play so straight that even on this level you can raise/fold, though in rare cases (again, just my experience:P ).

The crucial part is the next blind level, when antes start. This is where you really need to take advantage of every situation, because the pot gets MUCH bigger, and people sometimes don't even notice it!! Basically most players (on low limits) think the same about this blind level, as the one before this, even though, you can push your stack in for 400-500 instead of just 300. It is very profitable to steal here. ű
      If there are better players then maybe you can use your tight image (if you have one) to quickly steal a few pots in the beginning of the level.
      As far as I'm concerned this blind level is crucial. People tend to fall out on or after this level, because the antes can really suck your stack down, or - if you are the aggressive type - can really fatten it.

Hope I could help a bit.
    • SeriousThreat
      SeriousThreat
      Bronze
      Thanks for tips. Understood how I should adjust my strategy at Pokerstars.