Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2
      BU:
      $2.04

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:heart: , A:club:
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) T:heart: , T:diamond: , 9:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.15, BU raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.15.

Turn: ($0.79) 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.39, Hero raises to $0.78, BU raises to $1.66 (All-In), Hero raises to $1.62 (All-In).

River: ($4.07) K:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.07

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two-pair, aces and tens (Ah Ac)
      BU shows two-pair, tens and eights (8s 8d)

Hero wins with two-pair, aces and tens (Ah Ac)
      BU wins with two-pair, tens and eights (8s 8d)

--- Preflop his call didn't say much to me, normally it'd suggest a pocket pair but BU was slightly looser than average.

Flop wasn't the nicest, as at the time I was thinking maybe he was just calling with KT, QT, QJ or something similar, as he was a little looser.

Turn came and I checked as I was suspicious of his raise on the flop, especially because it was only a 2x raise and at 2NL I've seen that a lot with people who're holding monsters. He bets, and I'm sitting there thinking what his range might be. At a rough estimate maybe 1/5 of his possible hands involved a T, and otherwise I had him beat, and many of his other hands would bet out here since it was fairly obvious the flop had missed me (or I was slowplaying, but that was unlikely too) - so I raised, his re-raise to all in worried me a little but I was pot committed so I called, was happy when he turned over 88.

Thoughts?
  • 1 reply
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Royaltramp
      --- Preflop his call didn't say much to me, normally it'd suggest a pocket pair but BU was slightly looser than average.
      Ok so the first assumption is that he either has PPs or some medium to high connectors along with a lot of broadways.

Flop wasn't the nicest, as at the time I was thinking maybe he was just calling with KT, QT, QJ or something similar, as he was a little looser.
      I don't really understand this. You mean he'd call the flop? What dou you think he raises the flop with?
      I'd actuually just fold this vs the minraise because as you say below that most of the time you see people showing up with monsters after such a line.

Turn came and I checked as I was suspicious of his raise on the flop, especially because it was only a 2x raise and at 2NL I've seen that a lot with people who're holding monsters.
      This is what makes me fold on the flop.

He bets, and I'm sitting there thinking what his range might be. At a rough estimate maybe 1/5 of his possible hands involved a T, and otherwise I had him beat
      How do you get to this number?
      When you count combinations you'll see that a range of {AT, KT, QT, JT, T9, T8s} has 4+8+8+8+6+2=36 combintations! So what you're saying is that he has another 144 combinations of bluffs in his range. This would mean he raises almost 15% of total hands - he plays 18/10, so following your number he'd have to raise the flop 90% of the time.
      This is extremely unlikely.

, and many of his other hands would bet out here since it was fairly obvious the flop had missed me
      He raised the flop and you called OOP. Your hand looks at least like an overpair, so imo even if he was actually bluffraising the flop he will give up by now.
      (or I was slowplaying, but that was unlikely too)
      Definitely not. 3betting Tx wouldn't accomplish anything on the flop, so it's definitely part of your range along with JJ+.

- so I raised,
      You made an estimation that his range is polarized. Against such a range it doesn't make sense to raise a medium strength hand like AA.
      You'll either get a call from a nut hand in which case you're all in with about 5% equity, or he folds his complete air - but if he has that he might bet again.
      So a check-call would save money against better hands and at the same time win money against worse hands.

his re-raise to all in worried me a little but I was pot committed so I called,
      Why do you say you're potcommitted? At this point he made it very clear that he has Tx, so (since you have ~5% equity vs Tx) you'd need 20:1 odds, but you only have 5:1, therefore this is an easy fold.
      was happy when he turned over 88.
      Please don't post results as they may influence the evaluation.
      Thoughts?
      So to sum it up:
      Bet/fold flop because he has Tx very often.
      As played if you think he's bluffing: check/call turn to keep in his bluffs and save money vs better hands!