Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2
      UTG:
      $6.89

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:diamond: , K:spade:
      UTG raises to $0.18, 8 folds, Hero raises to $2.00 (All-In), UTG calls $1.82.

Flop: ($4.01) J:spade: , J:club: , 8:heart:
      Turn: ($4.01) T:club:
      River: ($4.01) J:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.01

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG shows (Qh 3h)
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, jacks (Ad Ks)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, jacks (Ad Ks)

--- is this okay vs such a loose player (51/34 VPIP/PFR)? Obviously I made a correct read here since they turned over Q3s but vs someone with similar stats would this usually be the right decision? I think it would but just looking for input so I don't repeat this if it's a mistake.
  • 5 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      I usually don't like shoving 100bb preflop. They know you're not doing it with KK or AA, so it's usually just a flip them having some pair.

I rather wait and try to outplay them in other spots not through coin flips.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Royaltramp,

The main question here would be, has he doing such raises earlier also, like 9xBB? All time the same amount or they were a bit smaller? But obvious if he has done such raises all the time then I don't mind getting it in preflop and if you expect him to gamble with any two cards the shoving directly is totally fine, if not then I'd make a normal raise. Otherwise if he hasn't done such raises earlier, more likely smaller raises then I might be more inclined to just Call and play the flop or even maybe just fold directly which would wrong either since we are OOP and it will be somehow harder against him.

Best regards.
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      He has definitely made similar raises, in fact all his raises were around 8-10BB, and he showed some pretty horrible cards with these raises in the past. My main worry though was less that he'd have good cards but actually that I simply wouldn't get called here, as I think at least 60-70% of the time against such a loose opponent I'm ahead with AK.
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      sorry, doblepost :(
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      Originally posted by yaxkukmian
      I usually don't like shoving 100bb preflop. They know you're not doing it with KK or AA
      From what I have seen so far people tend to shove or shove-raise with aces or kings about 40% of times, they do it lot less often with AK or QQ and many of these shoves are done with rags (AJ- or non-ace) or low PPs.

Also based on his 9 BB raises vilain will just not care about handranges. He is probably here to gamble, he wants to get lucky. These Vilains are always welcomed addition to "favorite fishes" list.