Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.08
      BU:
      $2.06

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.85 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:spade: , 9:club:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, CO folds, BU calls $0.08, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) A:heart: , T:diamond: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.1, BU calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.39) J:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

River: ($0.39) 7:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.1, BU calls $0.10.

Final Pot: $0.59

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of aces (As 9c)
      BU shows (Ad 4d)

Hero wins with a pair of aces (As 9c)

Preflop: marginal decision for me whether to open-raise here. Should I just have folded this given the potential to get into tricky spots out of position on Axx flop?

Flop: cbet

Turn: after flop cbet was called I don't expect a worse hand will call a 2nd barrel, so I check intending to play check/call. I think check/call is ok here because opponent is somewhat loose aggressive and might bet with worse (or might bluff thinking I have nothing because my own line looks like cbet once then give up).

River: after his check behind on the turn I think it is unlikely he has AT+ so I can make a small value bet hoping for a curiosity call from a worse ace, Tx, low pp. I would fold to a raise.

Main questions are (i) whether it would have been correct to call on the turn if he had bet, and (ii) as played, whether my river bet was ok.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • 2 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      I think you should fold this hand preflop if a guy like this is sitting behind you and will most probably call you. If you miss the flop you will be confronted with a tough decision whether to c-bet and how to continue the hand.
      Otherwise I think A9o is ok openraise hand.

Flop play is ok. I also agree with your line and thoughts on the turn.

River play I don't like. It's too small and very often you will be raised and calling with this kind of hand will be tough. If you decide for valueing you should bet at least 1/2 pot. I would just check the river.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello member001,

Preflop: I don't really like raising up such hand against loose opponents, also it's NL2. Rather just fold it.

As played
      Flop: Flop is pretty standard although you could bet a bit bigger, ~$0.12 or something similar.
      Turn: Your thoughts are pretty good here and I would also often Check/Call here to keep the pot small and also induce bluffs from such a loose aggressive opponent.
      River: As he decided to Check behind the turn, I'd just bet for value and 1/3 pot is totally fine bet. Nice hand!

Main questions are (i) whether it would have been correct to call on the turn if he had bet, and (ii) as played, whether my river bet was ok.

Yeah, Check/Call turn is totally fine, he would also take such a line with pure bluff. And river bet is ok, as I mentioned earlier. Good luck on tables!

Best regards.