Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1.7
      Hero:
      $2.08

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.85 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , Q:diamond:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, SB calls $0.07, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.18) T:diamond: , 4:spade: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.04, Hero calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.26) Q:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.16, SB calls $0.12.

River: ($0.58) 9:spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08.

Final Pot: $0.74

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ah Qd)
      SB shows a straight, king high (Ks Jd)

SB wins with a straight, king high (Ks Jd)

His repeated small bets confused me a bit here and, I think, made me play badly.

Preflop: standard

Flop: ok to just call, or should I basically ignore such a small bet from villain and raise here, thinking of my raise like a standard cbet?

Turn: should have raised more?

River: although his bet is small I have only top pair so I don't think I can raise because I am unlikely to get called by worse.

I had a few people keep donking out to me this evening with weird small bet sizes - any idea what they are thinking or comments on how best to deal with it?

Thanks
  • 2 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Raise on the flop 4x (pot would be $0,50). If he calls do the same on the turn - like $0,40 if he's drawing.

If he calls you twice, calling the river donk bet after that is ok.

I have a feeling he would call you all the way anyway since there are many loose players at NL2 but I think more aggressive way of playing this hand is more profitable way.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello member001,

Flop: As you said he keeps donking into you then just raise it up such small donk-bets, often they tend even to fold such hand.

As played
      Turn: I would likely raise a bit bigger, ~$0.34.
      River: Calling here is a bit better, since he bet into us pretty weak 2 streets and now bets a bit bigger, also it doesn't even matter that we raised it on turn.

I had a few people keep donking out to me this evening with weird small bet sizes - any idea what they are thinking or comments on how best to deal with it?

I really say that they are damn good tells about the opponent, if he bets smallish then he usually doesn't have a strong hand and if he keeps bigger then he has. Exactly such situation I had on our live coaching against such bets and then we faced pot size on river which was nuts.

Best regards.