This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 AQo tptk on turn facing small donk bets

• member001
      member001
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1.7
      Hero:
      $2.08

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.85 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , Q:diamond:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, SB calls $0.07, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.18) T:diamond: , 4:spade: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.04, Hero calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.26) Q:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.16, SB calls $0.12.

River: ($0.58) 9:spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08.

Final Pot: $0.74

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ah Qd)
      SB shows a straight, king high (Ks Jd)

SB wins with a straight, king high (Ks Jd)

His repeated small bets confused me a bit here and, I think, made me play badly.

Preflop: standard

Flop: ok to just call, or should I basically ignore such a small bet from villain and raise here, thinking of my raise like a standard cbet?

Turn: should have raised more?

River: although his bet is small I have only top pair so I don't think I can raise because I am unlikely to get called by worse.

I had a few people keep donking out to me this evening with weird small bet sizes - any idea what they are thinking or comments on how best to deal with it?

Thanks
  • 2 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Raise on the flop 4x (pot would be $0,50). If he calls do the same on the turn - like $0,40 if he's drawing.

If he calls you twice, calling the river donk bet after that is ok.

I have a feeling he would call you all the way anyway since there are many loose players at NL2 but I think more aggressive way of playing this hand is more profitable way.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello member001,

Flop: As you said he keeps donking into you then just raise it up such small donk-bets, often they tend even to fold such hand.

As played
      Turn: I would likely raise a bit bigger, ~$0.34.
      River: Calling here is a bit better, since he bet into us pretty weak 2 streets and now bets a bit bigger, also it doesn't even matter that we raised it on turn.

I had a few people keep donking out to me this evening with weird small bet sizes - any idea what they are thinking or comments on how best to deal with it?

I really say that they are damn good tells about the opponent, if he bets smallish then he usually doesn't have a strong hand and if he keeps bigger then he has. Exactly such situation I had on our live coaching against such bets and then we faced pot size on river which was nuts.

Best regards.