[NL2-NL10] NL - 1/2 - JQo

• McHallow
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, Q.
      MP1 raises to $0.06, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.06, SB calls $0.05, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.2) 2, 4, 6 (3 players)
      SB checks, MP1 bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, SB calls $0.12.

Turn: ($0.56) J (3 players)
      SB checks, MP1 bets $0.85(All-In), Hero calls $0.85, SB calls $0.85.

River: ($3.11) 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $3.11.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of jacks(Jd Qc).
      MP1 shows high card ace(Ts As).

Hero wins with a pair of jacks(Jd Qc).

I know I played this hand very weakly, MP1 was a maniac and shoved any two cards at any given moment so I wasn't too concerned about him, but, really this was an appalling hand, what should I have done?
  • 2 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      I would fold this hand preflop. If you're playing against maniac you should play with better hand. So when you get a better hand, raise preflop, to isolate the maniac. If you decided to play you should raise preflop, if not just fold it.

How you played...
      Board is very drawish and if you know at least one player is calling you're gambling since any A high beats you and he might have even flush draw with it. Also to think about the action on the turn. He's only left with 80c, so if you second barrel him, he's commited. You hit your J on the turn but still against two players you can be behind.

What if sb shoved on the river? You would call the obvious flush? Since he was quite passive it would be obviuos he hit it. Raising the turn makes your decision easier.

To sum it up.
      Raise preflop, don't c-bet against maniac. And when you hit on the turn, just shove it over him.
    • Kaitz20
      I think AJ should be fine against maniac range, since he would likely open raise wider range than your QJ and if you hit your tp you can safely play for stacks
      Don´t really like your flop call, since you have no equity and only hoping to hit your 6 outer and likely MP1 would shove any turn card and you can´t really call him down with Q high. Since SB is also shortstack I´d isolate MP1 shove and putting him also all-in. you should be ahead his range and you don´t mind if he folds his flushdraw or call smt like 77