[NL2-NL10] NL2 multiway 3betpot AK (deep)

• zxc2323
      zxc2323
      Bronze
      This hand I found very tricky to play, because - I missed the flop - and also because of how strange the situation of having another deep stack in the hand alongside a short stack was.

SB villain was playing pretty tight, about 10/0 over some 30 hands, with no real info on his postflop play. Shortstack was pretty loose and I thought pretty bad. I decided on 3betting preflop because I thought it would probably push out the other players aside from the short stack.

On the flop, I cbet kind of small, expecting the short stack to call (who on earth doesn't call any two cards there?) and the SB to fold unless he has a hand. The short stack folding really messed things up.

Should I have bet larger on the flop? Checkfold the flop? Double barrel the turn?

Was my 3bet preflop reasonable?
      ----------------

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):
      $3.45
      UTG1:
      $2.00
      UTG2:
      $0.93
      MP1:
      $0.46
      MP2:
      $1.35
      MP3:
      $2.10
      CO:
      $3.83
      BU:
      $2.05
      SB:
      $4.19

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, K.
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.04, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.04, 2 folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero raises to $0.28, MP1 calls $0.24, MP3 folds, SB calls $0.24.

Flop: ($0.88) 7, 2, 5 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.30, MP1 folds, SB calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.48) 2 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.48) J (2 players)
      SB bets $3.61, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.48.

------

Thanks for replies :)
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello zxc2323,

Since we are in multiway pot I'd likely expect someone to have here a PP, which they are going to continue on such flop, therefore I'd just Check/Fold and hope for a hit further streets.

Best regards.
    • zxc2323
      zxc2323
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply,

However the short stack is pot committed, and there's only one other player in the pot. I'm thinking that if I bet a bit larger, say 45 cents on the flop, the deep stack would've folded their air / low pocket pairs, and only would continue with 88+ and sets. I do have position on him.

From his preflop play and river shove, I'm guessing he flopped a set which he was slowplaying on the flop and turn.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by zxc2323
      Thanks for the reply,

However the short stack is pot committed, and there's only one other player in the pot. I'm thinking that if I bet a bit larger, say 45 cents on the flop, the deep stack would've folded their air / low pocket pairs, and only would continue with 88+ and sets. I do have position on him.

From his preflop play and river shove, I'm guessing he flopped a set which he was slowplaying on the flop and turn.
      And why do you want to go broke against the shorty if you only have A high? We don't have that great equity against any kind of PP against him. Therefore I'd just Check/Fold in such situations.
    • zxc2323
      zxc2323
      Bronze
      I think PPs make up a very small part of shorty's range, and we do have outs in any case. PPs make up a larger part of SB's range on the other hand, and so I'm thinking that he might not continue out of position with a small PP if I cbet (larger) into two opponents, while so deep with me unless he actually hit the flop.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by zxc2323
      I think PPs make up a very small part of shorty's range, and we do have outs in any case. PPs make up a larger part of SB's range on the other hand, and so I'm thinking that he might not continue out of position with a small PP if I cbet (larger) into two opponents, while so deep with me unless he actually hit the flop.
      On such limit you don't have that much fold equity from overpairs there, or either smaller PPs. They don't think that far. If you think your own, if you would be SB and had like 88s here, you would really fold to a bigger bet? I don't think so.