dealing with stupid players as bigstacks

• martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      As in, dealing with them being stupid and not applying any pressure on the small stack

6max sng, 1500 starting chips - 9000 in total.

Chipleader is sitting there, in the small blind with 7300 left and the big blind with 280 left and he doesn't even push that...

When the big stack folded the shorty even said "thank you" lol
  • 3 replies
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by martoman2k10
      As in, dealing with them being stupid and not applying any pressure on the small stack

6max sng, 1500 starting chips - 9000 in total.

Chipleader is sitting there, in the small blind with 7300 left and the big blind with 280 left and he doesn't even push that...

When the big stack folded the shorty even said "thank you" lol
      Maybe he was making a cup of coffee or popping to the loo :D

Maybe he had 42o :D

Or maybe he couldn't be bothered to help you out :D
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      It would be easy to classify any play I wouldn't make as a mistake, but I don't play perfectly, and I think about whether differences might be better than what I usually do, or whether they are just as good, but a different style. I recommend this practice.

There is a common misconception that the big stack is supposed to spend those chips trying to knock players out. The ICM says the big stack is still only supposed to make plays which gain chips, and this can mean folding the small blind when the short stack is pot-committed to call with ATC. I gave an example of this in my video on the ICM.

The players most vulnerable to pressure from the big stack are the medium stacks, since they are in decent shape if they fold. A clear shortest stack is not so risk-averse against the big stack, which reduces the big stack's ability to bully correctly.

Ending the bubble by knocking out the short stack mainly benefits the medium stacks, relieving them of the worry that they will bubble out against the big stack. At times, the big stack would prefer to lose a few chips to the short stack to preserve the bubble. This is not a stupid play, although it is not as often correct as some players believe.

So, you really need to distinguish between times that the big stack is correctly not trying to pressure the short stack and ones where the big stack is really making mistakes.
    • MikeAK47
      MikeAK47
      Bronze
      Sometimes it can be profitable to keep the short stack in, then steal blinds from the remaining mid-stack players.

I doubt that was what he was doing, but you can see how it may be a good play if you know that the micro stack will fold until his next BB allowing you to steal from the mid-stacks.

Why would you want to deal with him?

Just be glad he's not a good player and make some money from him, don't start telling him to abuse the bubble and play properly because if you were the micro stack you'd be V happy!

Besides that's collusion! lol