Stack
      SB:
      $2.24
      CO:
      $3.57
      Hero:
      $2

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:heart: , J:diamond:
      3 folds, CO calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, SB calls $0.09, BB folds, CO calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.32) K:heart: , Q:heart: , J:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $0.2, SB raises to $0.46, CO folds, Hero raises to $1.90 (All-In), SB calls $1.44.

Turn: ($4.12) 5:heart:
      River: ($4.12) 9:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.12

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Jh Jd)
      SB shows a straight, ace high (Ac Th)

SB wins with a straight, ace high (Ac Th)

--- Alright so today was a bit of a bad day for me, got around 500 hands in, which is a big amount for me since I only play a couple hours a day - but made a lot of mistakes and I'm down $5.50, stopped for now to analyse my play and see what I was doing wrong.

Pre-flop: Standard raise here, can't see anything I could do differently.

Flop: Maybe make my first bet ~$0.25 to protect against draws here. I was sure they'd raise with KK or QQ here, so the only hand that would beat me here is AT and I figured he would 3-bet with such a hand, and most likely had top pair - so I 4-bet to all in, he called.

Thoughts?
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Royaltramp,

First of all I like to mention that it's good that you trying to overview your hands, a lot of people are too lazy to even do that. That helps to improve a lot your game.

About the game, yes I would likely bet $0.25 and go broke, nothing much we can do there. Nice hand!

Best regards.
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Yeah, at the end of each day, particularly a day where I know I made bad plays, I look through all my hands in Elephant and give myself a self-analysis of all of them, then the ones where I want a second opinion I post here, so I'm trying to add my own thoughts to them - as I think it's important to see what I was thinking when I played the way I did, so any mistakes in my thinking can be corrected asap.

Thanks for the analysis :)
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello Royaltramp,

First of all I like to mention that it's good that you trying to overview your hands, a lot of people are too lazy to even do that. That helps to improve a lot your game.

About the game, yes I would likely bet $0.25 and go broke, nothing much we can do there. Nice hand!

Best regards.
      Wouldn't be better just to call his min raise on the flop? There are so many draws out here that I'm not sure even NL2 players are capable of doing it with some bad K. I might be overcautious but I would just call on the flop. We're still in position and can make a decision on the turn whether to go broke or not. Maybe he even checks to us and we get free river card.

I think this is one of very few decisions when I just call the flop despite knowing that I'm making the pot bigger and my decisions tougher. Just my thoughts.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Royaltramp
      Yeah, at the end of each day, particularly a day where I know I made bad plays, I look through all my hands in Elephant and give myself a self-analysis of all of them, then the ones where I want a second opinion I post here, so I'm trying to add my own thoughts to them - as I think it's important to see what I was thinking when I played the way I did, so any mistakes in my thinking can be corrected asap.

Thanks for the analysis :)
      You are welcome! Often I would even say that you learn a lot more with such analyze as you do than playing. Therefore on micro stakes it's very important to do the staff you do. :) Good luck on the tables and improving your game.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Wouldn't be better just to call his min raise on the flop?

And give him odds for a draw? I don't like it at all.

There are so many draws out here that I'm not sure even NL2 players are capable of doing it with some bad K.

Exactly, there are so many draw out there and that's why we have to protect. And I am pretty sure that those loose opponents can easily go broke with hands like Kx, could also be like KT or something similar, 2pairs? KQ.

I might be overcautious but I would just call on the flop. We're still in position and can make a decision on the turn whether to go broke or not. Maybe he even checks to us and we get free river card.

And what do you do with the position? For example an Ace comes? Or a T or a :heart: all those cards would kill our action. And what do you do if he check to us? We bet again for value and protection but why not to do that on flop? The same, just we start protection from flop. :) With just calling we give him a free card.

I think this is one of very few decisions when I just call the flop despite knowing that I'm making the pot bigger and my decisions tougher. Just my thoughts.

If we had FH there on flop then sure, I don't mind Calling but in such situation, I don't like it at all, according our stacks. :)