Stack
      SB:
      $2.71
      Hero:
      $2.15
      CO:
      $1.22

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:spade: , J:spade:
      4 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero raises to $0.12, CO calls $0.08, SB folds.

Flop: ($0.24) 9:heart: , 6:diamond: , 3:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.15, CO calls $0.15.

Turn: ($0.54) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.35, CO raises to $0.70, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $1.59

--- Quite unsure about this hand, preflop I figured CO was likely to fold most of his range to a 5xBB raise and SB would call with much worse hands (ps my actual raise was to $0.10 not $0.12)

Being the preflop aggressor I cbet on the flop, and since the turn card doesn't help many players I bet again, but facing a raise I couldn't continue with Q high.

Thoughts on my play here?
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Royaltramp,

Preflop: Since it's NL2 I am not that big fan of raising QJs, it will be hard to play TP or any kind of draws being OOP against fishy opponents. But of course it's doable.

As played
      Postflop: Depending on the opponent but as he has WTS 40% then I'd might even consider just Check/Folding right on the flop, otherwise you definitely have to Check/Fold the turn, he will likely going to continue anyways when he Called your flop bet.

Best regards.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Preflop raise is ok.
      C-beting on this kind of dry board is kind of no sense. What can he fold on the flop that he called preflop? Will he fold overcards? Probably not. What about pairs 77,88, 55, 44? Also probably not. Why c-beting then when your hand doesn't have showdown value since he has some pair or at least K high overcards.

On turn another brick comes and you invest 35c but you don't want to play it after miniraise? Too obvious.

If flop was c-c I would try on the turn but after minraise I would fold.

In this kind of position when you have really weak hand you want to play small pots. Your line is too agressive for this position.

Think ahead. What would you do on the river if he just called the turn? Just check/fold? That would probably be the best play but do you want to be in spots when you're in a pot which is $1,20 and you don't have a chance to win it?
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Thanks for the feedback guys. Last night when I was evaluating my hands I noticed some of my biggest losses were coming from overplaying face cards, e.g. KQs, KJs, KQo etc

I think looking at this hand showed me one of my major leaks as I'm being too aggressive with just overcards when I play face cards. Particularly on bad flops like this.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Royaltramp
      Thanks for the feedback guys. Last night when I was evaluating my hands I noticed some of my biggest losses were coming from overplaying face cards, e.g. KQs, KJs, KQo etc

I think looking at this hand showed me one of my major leaks as I'm being too aggressive with just overcards when I play face cards. Particularly on bad flops like this.
      Yep, likely, do not only include KQ/KJ into his, same goes for AK. :) Often has AK also leaks, you can easily overview your stats with AK, do you get profit with them or not.
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Originally posted by Royaltramp

Yep, likely, do not only include KQ/KJ into his, same goes for AK. :) Often has AK also leaks, you can easily overview your stats with AK, do you get profit with them or not.
      Thanks for pointing that out, I just checked and I have profit with AKs, but I've lost more with AKo than I've won with AKs. AQs is also another leak.