[NL2-NL10] NL2 KK vs draw board

• Royaltramp
      Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:heart: , K:spade:
      4 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU folds, Hero raises to $0.13, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.10, CO folds.

Flop: ($0.29) Q:club: , J:spade: , 9:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.23, MP2 raises to $0.46, Hero calls $0.23.

Turn: ($1.21) 5:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.6, Hero raises to $1.41 (All-In), MP2 calls $0.82.

River: ($4.04) 8:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.04

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows a straight, queen high (Qs Ts)
      Hero shows (Kh Ks)

MP2 wins with a straight, queen high (Qs Ts)

--- Preflop: Raised to 6BB with 2 limpers

Flop: Bet just over 2/3 of the pot to protect against draws, unfortunately I was raised, but I figured I had better odds here than an OESD and KT or T8 was unlikely to call a 6BB raise preflop. (Unfortunately I didn't notice MP2's VPIP at the time)

Turn: Honestly I'm not sure what my line of thought here was, normally I'd just bet $0.82 here to push him all in. Thoughts?
  • 3 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      Why 13c preflop? You think that one cent is going to make any difference? If somebody has good hand he's going to call 13+1c so just bet 14. If one of this guys is very loose (co might be in that range) I would bet bigger. Why? You make sure only good hands call you and very important thing is you're going to play the hand out of position.

Flop play: Miniraise is very ugly play I agree. But with calling you're giving him initiative and you invest more money in the pot that you might be already almost dead. The correct play here is to think about his range. He could do this with QJ, KT, all other hands you're beating (QQ, JJ and even 99 or TT are not very probable here, because he just limped). So if you decide he has some AQ, AJ kind of hand, you just shove it over him and make him to think and make a decision.

I would bet/f or bet/shove flop...If you have some informations about him (if he overplays tp, slowplays monsters, miniraises sets,...) it would be very useful here.

I had one similar hand today with AA, I check/called the flop (1/2pot). Turn was also a brick but his 1/2 pot bet was really ugly so I just folded. It might look weak but why stack off in ugly spots when you can wait for better.

Also if you check, he probably bets less and you get to invest less to see the turn and maybe even river.
    • Royaltramp
      I didn't bet $0.13 preflop, I bet $0.12, but when I'm on SB or BB for some reason hand history adds the SB or BB, even though they were already included in the total, so if I raise to $0.10, on BB it would say $0.12 and on SB it would say $0.11 - you can actually tell this by looking at the next part, where it says MP2 called $0.10, when he had called $0.02 previously, whereas if I actually bet $0.12 it would say he called $0.11.

.. I think this is a problem with William Hill hand history and not Elephant.

I never considered raising the flop, and you make a good point, I think you're right that I should either be folding or raising here rather than just calling.

Thanks for the advice :)
    • veriz
      Hello Royaltramp,

Flop: It's damn close, I might even prefer to Bet/Fold here, since such lines are often very strong as he limp/calls preflop and min-raises us on such flop. Therefore if I don't know the opponent I'd prefer to Bet/Fold but as your play it doesn't make sense at all, we have to protect from any kind of pair+draw type of hands. That's why I either get it in on flop or either Bet/Fold. But going broke on flop ain't wrong.

Since I'd put him on such range:
      Equity Win Tie Loss Hand
      Player 1: 48,423% 47,091% 2,665% 50,244% KK
      Player 2: 51,577% 50,244% 2,665% 47,091% KTs, Q9s+, JTs, KTo, Q9o+, JTo

And with such equity our move is +EV(near break-even), therefore you can even consider shipping it on flop.

Best regards.