Fish on tilt - a beginner's NL blog

• Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Hey all, I'm Matt, I'm 18, and I'm from South East England, near Cambridge. I first learnt 5 card draw in middle school when I was just 11 or 12, and at lunch time I'd play it with my friends, I was never very good, but I had a lot of fun. Obviously we never played for money at the time but it was all good fun.

A couple of years ago I was at college and we were all playing online poker for play money, I was no good since I was new to Texas Hold 'Em, but I quickly learned the ropes and soon became the best player in my class.

I played on Facebook poker (I know, I know haha.) for several months, practising with the intention of playing for money once I turned 18. I was dominating Facebook poker, 1st out of all my friends, with roughly 500x more money than most of them, I had a big ego, played like a maniac, and thought my play chip winnings made me a poker god.

I tilted and lost all my play chips, got bored of poker and quit for a long time. Around 2 months ago I had a little extra money, £8 or so (just over $10), sitting in my bank, and since I'd yet to play for real money since turning 18, I figured why not, and deposited it on another poker site.

Within just a week I'd won my way from $10 to $60, playing just 30 minutes a day, I was very happy and thought poker was my new job. I won up to $70, then withdrew $50, forgetting the important of BRM. I had $20 left and was playing 10NL, lost the $20 in a matter of minutes, next up I deposited the $50 back, and proceeded to tilt and lose all of that within a couple of days.

Just when I'd given up with poker for the second time my friend messaged me, and linked me to PokerStrategy, I'd seen it before but previously thought it was a scam, he told me friends of his had used it, so I gave it a try, and around 2 weeks ago I got my $50 free starting capital.

Now I've started playing NL2 FR, sticking to BRM and learning BSS. I've had hit and miss sessions, overall my play was very bad at first, but I'm rapidly improving. Unfortunately tilt is still a big problem, and so someone suggested a blog would help me manage tilt, as I'd have to post about it here.

-Stats-

Starting bankroll:
      $50
      Current bankroll:
      $35.46
      Platform:
      4-6 tables - 2NL FR at William Hill
      Hands played:
      VPIP/PFR:
      12/7

My graph is too shameful to post :f_cry:

-Goals-

Green = done

Short term:
      - Play 25k hands
      - Get $50 rake to keep initial starting capital
      - Hit $100 and move to NL4
      - Read "Ace on the River" by Barry Greenstein
      - Read "The Poker Mindset" by Ian Taylor and Matthew Hilger
      - Read "Small Stakes Hold 'Em" by Ed Miller, David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth
      - Read all bronze BSS articles + watch accompanying videos

Mid term:
      - Play 100k hands
      - Keep moving up limits
      - Read all silver BSS articles + watch accompanying videos
      - Get to gold

Long term:
      - Play professional poker as a career
      - Play 100k+ hands per month
      - Crack AA with 27o (from BB) :f_cool:

Wish me luck, or rather, wish me plenty of learning opportunities so I can improve my skill - and luck won't be necessary.

Thanks for reading, I'll try update regularly.
  • 29 replies
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Update for today, played ~450 hands so far, still going to play an hour or two more but taking a break for a little bit.

Gone from $33.84 to $36.40, had a few hands that I badly misplayed and ended up losing whole BIs, but found a real nice table earlier with a 90% VPIP fish who pretty much single-handedly gave me ~$4, which put me back on track.

Some hands from today:

This guy was very loose and had 100% rate of attempting to steal the blinds, so this time I called, hit a lucky flop, raised his bet, and he shoved. I only had top pair here with a low kicker but he's shown this kind of aggression with air before so I called him down, and he showed his A3o

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1.72
      Hero:
      $2.73

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:diamond: , 9:diamond:
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.09, Hero calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.17) K:spade: , 8:diamond: , 2:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.12, Hero raises to $0.36, SB raises to $1.63 (All-In), Hero calls $1.28.

Turn: ($3.44) 4:spade:
      River: ($3.44) J:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.44

Results follow (highlight to see):
      SB shows (Ah 3s)
      Hero shows a pair of kings (Kd 9d)

Hero wins with a pair of kings (Kd 9d)

^ Still a risky move on my part I think though.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.15
      BU:
      $6.57

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with Q:diamond: , Q:club:
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 5 folds, BU calls $0.08, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) 9:club: , 7:spade: , 2:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.14, BU calls $0.14.

Turn: ($0.47) T:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.31, BU calls $0.31.

River: ($1.09) 3:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.85, BU folds.

Final Pot: $1.94

^ Not sure if I could have sized the bets a little differently to get maximum value from the hand - thoughts? Also this was the 90% VPIP fish, when his VPIP was still a little lower.

I've also read a couple of the BSS silver articles today, along with a few more pages of "The Poker Mindset".
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Played just over 500 hands today, up $2.33.

According to my PT graph I'm just under breaking even, however I'm only at $38.73, so that means I've wasted a lot of money on SNGs, I know I've played a few when on tilt but didn't realise I'd spend > $11 on them.

Really happy with my overall play today, only a couple of hands I wasn't sure, about, so here they are for your input:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $1
      MP1:
      $1.17
      Hero:
      $2

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:heart: , J:heart:
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.02, 2 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.07) J:spade: , 4:heart: , 4:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.07, BB calls $0.07, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($0.21) 9:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.15, BB calls $0.15.

River: ($0.51) A:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $0.51

Hero shows (Kh Jh)
      BB shows three-of-a-kind, fours (Kd 4c)

BB wins with three-of-a-kind, fours (Kd 4c)

and...

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG:
      $6.58
      MP2:
      $1.89
      Hero:
      $4.15

Preflop: Hero is CO with T:heart: , T:club:
      UTG raises to $0.04, 3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.12, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.12, 4 folds.

Flop: ($0.31) 8:diamond: , 8:club: , 2:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.23, Hero calls $0.23.

Turn: ($0.77) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.57, Hero calls $0.57.

River: ($1.91) 4:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 raises $0.97 (All-In), Hero calls $0.97.

Final Pot: $3.85

MP2 shows two-pair, aces and eights (As Ad)
      Hero shows (Th Tc)

MP2 wins with two-pair, aces and eights (As Ad)

^ This one was pretty bad, in retrospect I wouldn't have normally called preflop here, but I was hoping UTG would call this raise and so I'd be getting good odds here.

Flop: Wasn't sure what to do here, looking back I think vs an out of position bet I could have just folded here, same for turn and river, I think I should have already folded on the flop and not continued playing.

Thoughts?

Also will be reading more silver articles and some more of The Poker Mindset tonight.

Thanks for reading :)

Edit: Although these are awful graphs, I was wondering what you guys think of this:

Graph of winnings + EV:

All hands except pocket pairs:

Pocket pairs:

-- Does this mean I'm playing most of my hands wrong except pocket pairs? Or what?
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Didn't play too many hands today, but I'm up to $42.27, I'm in +$ on my graph now, even though I'm down like $8 overall from playing SNGs last week on tilt.

Posted a couple of hands in the BSS hand evaluation forum, but other than that don't really have much to show since I played so few hands today.

Might play some more a little later, depends how I'm feeling, but just thought I'd update since I want to progress every day and record it.

Managed to read another chapter of The Poker Mindset and planning to read more later, and re-read a couple of silver articles.
    • smile101
      smile101
      Bronze
      Well gl with ure goals im in about the same postion as u but im playing 2/5c nl bankroll somewhere at 90 $ from 50$ gl to you, il be following ure blog, maybe well meet live when we become poker pros ^^ cya, starting a session now
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply, good luck to you too :)

Today I've only played 333 hands, but I'm playing a $1k freeroll in 10 minutes just for a bit of a break and some fun, and then going to play some PC games and read a bit more of The Poker Mindset after. Also tuned in to the BSS Silver hand coaching earlier.

I'm up to $43.15 now, overall a very good day, only 3 hands in the entire day I wasn't sure about.

My only complaint about today is that I should have got up earlier and played more hands.

Over 6.7k hands I have 1.45BB/100 now, which is bad, but I've improved a lot lately so I think this'll continue to rise.
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      Good luck with this mate, i will be following with interest.

First couple of months of online poker are the hardest, so keep your head when things dont go your way.

I lost my head and lost my bankroll.

Lesson learnt :tongue:
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Thanks. Moved up to 6 tables for the first time today, lets see how that goes.
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      6-tabling didn't go too well, had a couple of bad hands, a bad beat or two, but the biggest problem was a single misclick which cost me an entire buyin, so I'm down to $40.57 now.

Since my stop loss limit is still 2 buyins for a session and 3 for a day, I'm taking a break for now, I'll either play some more later or take a break and play again tomorrow.

Managed to play ~210 hands though in less than an hour of play, which I think is quite good given how slow these tables are. Aside from my misclick and a couple of hands I played well so I'm happy with today even though I'm down, and the hands I made mistakes on will hopefully be a lesson learnt - as will the misclick.
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1.93
      Hero:
      $2
      UTG1:
      $1.87
      UTG2:
      $4.92
      MP1:
      $1.94

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5:club: , 4:club:
      UTG folds, UTG1 calls $0.02, UTG2 calls $0.02, MP1 calls $0.02, 4 folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.10) 8:club: , 7:club: , 6:club: (5 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, UTG1 bets $0.02, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, SB folds, Hero calls $0.02.

Turn: ($0.16) Q:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 bets $0.08, MP1 calls $0.08, Hero calls $0.08.

River: ($0.40) 8:heart: (3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 bets $0.2, MP1 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, UTG1 raises to $1.75 (All-In), Hero calls $1.15.

Final Pot: $3.90

Results follow:
      UTG1 shows a straight flush, tens high (Tc 9c)
      Hero shows (5c 4c)
      UTG1 wins with a straight flush, tens high (Tc 9c)

Horrible bad beat but it was so funny that it made my day. :f_biggrin:

Edit: Managed to get another 300 hands in, I'm quite comfortable playing 6 tables now as long as I'm not doing much else, and I'm back up to $42.58, meaning I'm only down ~1 BI today, and overall aside from a couple hands I feel I played very well today :)
    • smile101
      smile101
      Bronze
      yeah well miss cliks suck !! big times i got out from a mtt with a miss clik i was definetley going to final table with the stack i had :) ) but i called an all in with A3o :) ) my advice to you is to play 4 tables until you get bored lol i mean you have alot of time between hands :D i curently play 6 tables, i can play 9 or 12 but my screen is to little and i cant see all the stats on players :) anywas im down 3bi ^^ im at 8x$ a word of advice never go all in with JJ or AK it sucks ^^.Oh and do you use any form of hud poker elehpant, holdem manager ?
      maybe well have a sweat session sometimes :)
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      I use PT3 for the HUD, but I also have the trial of HEM, and I'm most likely getting the full version for Christmas if any of my friends are feeling generous, I mainly want it for the leakbuster tool.

I use Elephant for hand evaluation too. So all 3 are useful to me.

A sweat session sounds good, I'd very much like to skype with someone while I play, and show my screen, for like an hour or so some day, to get feedback on my play - and to do the same in return for them.

Anyway I'm going to get some breakfast now, it's almost 3pm but I'm oversleeping a lot, after that I'll get some hands in. :f_biggrin:
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Bad day today, tilted a little at the end and managed to lose 2 buyins due to tilt alone, down to $37.72 now. Stopped playing now though to avoid losing more and will play again tomorrow when I'm in a better mood.

Played 600 hands today though, for the first 550 or so I was very happy with my play, just need to work on avoiding tilt and bad mistakes more in the future.
    • smile101
      smile101
      Bronze
      no sweat :D when u feel tilty just shut off your coumputer, playing while titled is gambling :D , anyways i lost like 35 $ playing live today ^^ that sux now im going do to some massive grinding hoping for a 6 h session ^^ il post my grapsh after i finish playing it hopefully il end it happy ^^ dutetarevinoincet is my skype nick btw, but i have to warn you my spoken english isnt so good since i dont have a lot of practice but hopefully u will understand :D cya in 6 h
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Had a bad day, both with poker and irl, so lost a little more, down to around $34.30 now, might play a little more later though if things get a little better.
    • smile101
      smile101
      Bronze
      damn it well i know the feeling, just read my signature and youll be better i hope :D i had a pretty nice day and a good session 1 h played around 700 hands 16$+ :D maybe well have the sweat session soon\.Going to sleep now cya
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Played about 500-600 hands today, can't check because PostgreSQL crashed and Elephant, PT, HEM etc wont work, I'll check tomorrow though.

I made many mistakes, tilted a little, and only made $0.07 profit, and even that was only thanks to some Christmas luck - e.g. accidentally limped preflop with 79o, flop comes 779, etc.

I think playing without a HUD was very hard for me, as was playing while preoccupied with Christmas in general, but luckily even though I made many mistakes I finished with +$0.07, and tomorrow I can avoid playing so badly and play +EV.

Also, I've got 2 of the $5 bonuses on WH now by earning 10+ points on 2 of my tables in one session twice, so I have $10 in bonus dollars, and will get $1 of that for every 110 WH points I earn up until February - so that should help me out a little. :)
    • smile101
      smile101
      Bronze
      posting some hands would help ^^, but limping 79o isnt good :) well theres always time for improvement.. :D Merry Christmas by the way ^^
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      After yesterday's horrible bad play I decided I needed a day off to study some and have a little fun instead of worrying about whether I've played enough hands or if I'm up or down. Back to the tables tomorrow though :)
    • smile101
      smile101
      Bronze
      well things will get better hopefully ^^ waiting for your next graph :O and some hands sir ^^ thank you