[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL25 Rush 89s IP

• jozata
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8, 9.
      MP2 raises to $0.85, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.85, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($2.05) J, 3, T (2 players)
      MP2 bets $2.05, Hero calls $2.05.

Turn: ($6.15) K (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $4.00, MP2 calls $4.00.

River: ($14.15) 4 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $10.00, MP2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $14.15.

Villain-unknown.The preflop call is a bit dubious.On the flop i decide to float with the intention of betting almost all cards if checked to me.The problem comes on the river.How often does villain fold to a river bet and what could his range in this case be?Are there such cases where we simply dump our hand and check back the river?
  • 2 replies
    • Tim64
      Tricky spot. I think the preflop call is fine ip.

I think the plan to call and float should be fine in principle. Problem against an unknown is we dont know how wide he is opening and how often he will therefore be betting turn or ch/folding. So I wouldnt plan on doing this without eQuity.

As played, the K:heart: is a good card to bet as average villain is not checking when they hit a flush and when you check/call flush draw on flop and bet the flush - villain will naturally fear you have it.

I think the riverbet is probably fine too. It needs to be successful only 40% of the time and I think you will get enough folds from 1 pair type hands. If you know villain likes to bluff catch, then by all means dump it.
    • Kaitz20
      Seems standard. Since he checked turn, then he doesn´t really have there very strong hand and mostly people are going to c/c once and then c/f rievr if you bet big, since your range can be there anything starting with two pairs and ending flushes, but his hand mostly has there Jx/QQ or even weaker