[NL2-NL10] NL10 hit A on the river

• meridius
      meridius
      Bronze
      villain is 16/15/5.5/25 (VPIP/PFR/AF/WTSD).

Preflop I called as I had quite good odds. Small donkbet on the flop with nutsFD to see where I am and partially as a blockbet. Turn card I considered not very nice (especially if villain called with a set). On the river I hit the ace, yet villain becomes aggressive. I'm not sure where tu put him... should I call or fold? Thanks.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):
      $10.00
      BB:
      $18.21
      MP2:
      $12.45
      MP3:
      $18.24
      CO:
      $9.91
      BU:
      $12.53

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, A.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.40, CO folds, BU calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.35, BB folds.

Flop: ($1.3) 5, J, 7 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, MP3 folds, BU calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.7) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

River: ($2.7) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, BU raises to $4.17, Hero ???

Final Pot: $11.04.
  • 3 replies
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      Why do you bet the river? What worst hand will call you?
      as played, just fold the river, you are behind everything he can hold.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Unless MP3 is tight I just squeeze it up preflop most of the time. Overcalling out of position isn't awful but for a 4bb raise against a tight guy and an unknown who looks like a reg (raising sizing) it's not really a spot we can expect to make a lot of money passively.

Flop and turn are fine.

On the river there is only value in betting if you believe that guy can make the call with stuff like 7x/88-TT, otherwise you should just check and possibly call a bet against a Jx/busted draws polarized range. Keep in mind if he really is tight he might have a very high ratio of Jx hands over busted draws.

As played on the river you don't beat anything he raises for value. He's not even raising a better Ax if he happens to have one I don't think (hard for him to have as well since you all block the AcXc combos). He'd have to be bluff-raising with busted draws and since he's a 16/15 I doubt it unless his stats are deceiving or you induced an out-of-character spazz by betting small. I'd say just fold when in doubt. If you're the type of player that needs some convincing, go ahead and call a few of these river raises to learn the harsh way what the hands behind these are.

Hope it helps.
    • meridius
      meridius
      Bronze
      Thank you both very much for the replies.