Turbo or Not

• winmaster76
      winmaster76
      Bronze
      I recently decided I would start playing SNGs, and I was wondering what everyone thought was the most profitable kind of single table SNG, between superturbo, turbo and regular. I was thinking superturbo would end up being too much of a lottery, and although in theory the regular speed table would be the best, since you would get the most hands per buy in to use your PokerStrategy edge, I thought maybe the turbos might attract worse players who like the increased action of the faster blind levels.

Does anyone have advice on which type of SNG is the most profitable?
  • 4 replies
    • godders248
      godders248
      Bronze
      Hi buddy
      I have been playing 3.25 turbos on stars and main thing is variance these games only last 35mins at max due to blind levels smashing people out.

you need to be Itm 40% of the time with a 30 1st and 10 2ns to make some small profits .
      i have moved to playing standars sng 6.50 and am having much more better sessions and ITM alot more Volume is key i play 100 a day over 10 hours so as long as you can put the time in you can make good profits not only that but playing ABC poker for first stage until your down to 4 people then loosen up i find is best . the average 6.50 game i play lasts 50-70 mins but some finish quicker if alot of fish :D

Good luck in your decision let me no how u get on

godders248
    • JonnyJr555
      JonnyJr555
      Bronze
      Hello winmaster

i play $1 Super Turbo's 6 handed at FTP and i am running gud so far.......

If u r thinking of grinding SNG's be sure to get SNG poker mindset and non result oriented attitude first, hope you know what i mean?

Cheers
      JonnyJr555 :s_thumbsup:
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Experts have higher ROIs in regular SNGs than turbos, and lower ROIs in superturbos. However, super turbos are much faster, so it is not clear what would give experts the most $/hour in comparable stakes. So, look to your strengths.

The speed of a tournament gives you different decisions. If you play turbos, you tend to reach the bubble when the blinds are higher than if you play regular speed SNGs. You get many resteal decisions on the bubble of a regular speed SNG, while in turbos the effective stack depth is lower and players open-push. You spend more time with stacks deep enough to play postflop in regular speed tournaments.
    • MikeAK47
      MikeAK47
      Bronze
      In terms of hourly rate, turbos are more profitable but your ROI is lower.

In terms of ROI, regulars are more profitable but your hourly rate is lower.

This is because the drop in ROI for turbos isn't big enough for it to effect your hourly rate drastically, so even though ROI is higher in regulars, the extra time spend waiting around gives you a lower hourly rate.

For example...

Turbo ROI = 6%
      Regular ROI = 10%

Turbos take half the amount of time to finish as a regular SNG, but your ROI is not halved, this is why hourly rate is higher.

The downside to turbos is that because your ROI is lower, you're ITM less often and will experience bigger downswings than in regular SNGs, so be prepared to cope with the variance.

I'd suggest starting at regular SNG, because variance is hard for beginners to cope with (I know), and then when you've won some money give turbos a shot.

As for super turbos, I haven't a clue really, I personnaly wouldn't bother with them, variance is too high and turbos are fast enough for me!