When to learn SH?

• Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      I was wondering whether you guys think it's better to learn 6-max/short-handed early on or if it's better to be completely comfortable at full ring first? I still have many leaks to fix with FR but that's what makes me wonder if maybe I'd be better off learning to play SH now - since if I'm playing solid FR and then move to SH I still pretty much have to start afresh since it plays much looser and very different.

On a similar note, are there any of you who've moved up all the way from 2/4/5NL to higher stakes like 100-200NL+ who still play FR, and if so, what's your reasoning for this, less variance, or something else?
  • 7 replies
    • MarkasKR
      MarkasKR
      Bronze
      It depends on your style. If you tend to be aggressive pre-flop go to short-handed games. If you like to be tight player - play full-ring.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MarkasKR
      It depends on your style. If you tend to be aggressive pre-flop go to short-handed games. If you like to be tight player - play full-ring.
      Actually i did the exact opposite.. when i played FR i played like 35/27 and now at SH i really nit up - i'm like 20/17. And it worked very well for me.
    • Royaltramp
      Royaltramp
      Bronze
      Prior to finding PokerStrategy.com my strength was always playing a little looser, but I think that was because I did not know what kind of hand ranges to play. My post flop play is still shaky so I think right now I am better off at FR, but at the same time maybe learning SH would force me to improve my post flop play quicker since I'd have to play more marginal hands.
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      If you have sufficient traffic, I would recommend go for SH at NL25. May be get some feeling on NL10... first.

In SH game you get to many more difficult situations post flop. And you will be exposed to higher variance. 30BI recommended.

Funktor
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Hello!

I think you should play whichever format you enjoy most as you will improve fastest that way. You are probably overestimating the differences between SH and FR, its not like you need to start from scratch if you make the switch - all of the basic concepts are the same. That said, if you are gunning for SH, you might as well start now.

You certainly don't have to move to SH just because its "cool" if you don't want to though. I started at NL2 with $5 and I am still playing FR at NL100. The main advantage of FR is that you can play more tables and there are less marginal post flop spots. It might get hard to find games once you hit NL400+, but honestly if you make it that far you will have changed so much as a player that its just trivial to think about now if you are just starting.

Hope it helps. :f_biggrin:
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      6 max is higher variance but probably more fun/better learning experience as you're playing more hands and getting into more funky spots.

In theory 6 max should play like the later positions in a FR game - although in my experience the players are generally better and more aggressive.

My advice is give it a go and see what you think. Playing 6 max will certainly help your FR game if you decide to move back. As Funktor says, you should have a bigger bankroll for 6 max so don't be afraid to play at lower stakes than your usual for a FR game.

GL!
    • Indahaus
      Indahaus
      Bronze
      In my opinion, if your goal is to play 6max, you can start as early as you want. Having in mind that you wont make big money in micro stakes anyway, just play what will give you more experience, and what is more entertaining