[NL2-NL10] set vs straight

• crodady
      Known players:

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.95 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4:heart: , 4:spade:
      6 folds, Hero calls $0,03, BB checks.

Flop: ($0,10) A:club: , Q:diamond: , 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks.

Turn: ($0,10) 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,1, BB calls $0,10.

River: ($0,30) T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,3, BB raises to $0,90, Hero calls $0,60.

Final Pot: $2,10

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (4h 4s)
      BB shows a straight, five high (3d 2c)

BB wins with a straight, five high (3d 2c)

i manage to lose as little as i could :D
  • 2 replies
    • Royaltramp
      With no limpers I'd raise preflop here, then if you are called most of the time you can take down the pot with a continuation bet on the flop on boards where you miss - and can get maximum value out of boards where you hit your set.

The problem here is that when you complete the BB can play for free with any two cards. So even on the flop there are draws, a potential set (5s), possible two pair with A5 or Q5 - your 4 doesn't help you against one potential draw here, which could have been avoided by raising preflop.

As for postflop, given that you limped preflop I don't think you could have played this any differently.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Easy raise preflop, that guy is so tight he'll fold very often, there is no reason to give him a free shot at owning you with K2o by flopping a K (or straight up making your life miserable with position)

As played on the flop I would bet and probably barrel at it, if he had a good A he'd have raised you preflop so he has pretty much no hands that can call multiple streets except like A4/44.

Turn and river are fine. If there were 2 straights possible on board I would have 3-bet the river for value.

Hope it helps.