[NL2-NL10] NL4 FR - KQ in MEGAmultiway pot!

• DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $0,9
      UTG:
      $5,7
      UTG1:
      $4,92
      UTG2:
      $34,01
      MP1:
      $2,18
      MP2:
      $7,54
      CO:
      $10,23
      BU:
      $4,59

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.94 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:diamond: , Q:heart:
      UTG raises to $0,08, UTG1 calls $0,08, UTG2 calls $0,08, MP1 calls $0,08, MP2 calls $0,08, MP3 folds, CO calls $0,08, BU calls $0,08, SB calls $0,06, Hero folds.

Is the fold ok here? I had absolutely no idea of how to play this preflop. A reraise could have been my other choice, but I was afraid of getting 4-5 callers and playing OOP seemed hard for me...
  • 5 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

You can't become better at this game in the long run by avoiding tough spots forever. This isn't really a tough spot either. Against normal players maybe, but when you're up against a whole bunch of 80+ vpip guys it's not even close you have to stick around.

Best way of doing that is probably to squeeze it up big, knowing they will call with dominated hands and pure crap alike, then making a good decision to c-bet or not postflop. If you hit a pair top pair or better c-bet it and felt it, if you hit a 2nd pair likely c-bet it anyway and cross the "omg what do i do if he raises" bridge when you come to it.

If you don't wanna do that, at least make the call getting a trillion to 1 odds, even if you end up check/folding anything less than TP2K postflop always it's still a very good call preflop.

Hope it helps.
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      Okay, thank you for this. On this table I used to play speculative hands a lot and get paid as much as possible when I nut (which means also playing every Kxs, Axs...). I had problems with playing KQ in that spot because it's a good hand for flops with less than 8 players, I knew my equity was good enough, however the playability of this hand in such spot caused me problems "in advance". That's why I folded.

Thank you for the advice, it helped :) I effectively also had the odds to get a big hand and did not played them, therefore I lost money in that spot.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Shouldn't we try keep the pot smaller OOP?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      Definitely! I wont ever raise here just because of so many loose opponent and we will never know where we stand if we even do hit our TP, therefore at best what I would do is Call here and hope to hit something like a straight or 2pair type of hand and play cautiously postflop, when we even do hit our pair.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      Definitely! I wont ever raise here just because of so many loose opponent and we will never know where we stand if we even do hit our TP, therefore at best what I would do is Call here and hope to hit something like a straight or 2pair type of hand and play cautiously postflop, when we even do hit our pair.
      That was my exact thought process...